Lock tuning 101 please....?

stevejones

Regular
Rating - 100%
82   0   1
Location
Courtenay, BC
So I searched and could not find anything on tuning locks. Checked the gun smith one too and no luck. I think this is a tough one to do without pictures. Perhaps someone will not mind passing on some of their hard earned knowledge?
I google searched too and no luck.

Cheers. Steve.
 
What I do, is take the lock apart, polish the inside of lock plate. Then I lap the lock pieces that mate together, I' have a small triangular and round stone for polishing the sear and the hole for the tumbler. Some people use a stone for lapping, I prefer to use 600 grit wet & dry and oil on a glass plate.
Cheers nessy.
 
I think I would interpret the term to mean modifying (if necessary) the hammer so that it is centered on the nipple or the angle of the #### so that the flint does not smash square into the frizzen. I guess it would also include polishing up any rough rub spots in the lock and perhaps reducing excessively stiff sear springs and correcting incorrect sear notches. Most of these things depend on individual interpretation and opinion and are not things easily described

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom