Locks /cap lock or flint brand?

cdnrokon

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
Location
Manitoba
looking to build a rifle from parts, what brand of lock does everyone like and why?...good points or bad? Whereto purchase if not found used or in Canada.
I have delt with Track Of The Wolf, but not tried pecatonica river long rifle...thoughts?
 
I can't remember if Chambers or L&R bought out Siler but I like the Siler style lock. My reason is that I like the more or less foolproof contact between tumbler and mainspring as opposed to locks with a stirrup link. The stirrup link gives less friction and therefore better transfer of power to the tumbler but it is also fairly easy to break one of the claw legs off on the end of the mainspring. Having said that, part of your decision may be made by which company makes a lock with the correct shape for your proposed gun or alternately to what extent you are able to modify the shape of a Siler style lock to the one that you desire

cheers mooncoon
 
I only buy Davis or Jim Chambers locks now because I had some serious quality control issues with L&R a couple of years ago - particularly with their flint locks. Percussion locks are less finicky but I still prefer Davis or Chambers unless I cannot get the style I want anywhere else than from L&R. Having said that, when I did send an unsatisfactory lock back to them, they did replace several parts and returned it to me quickly and at no cost other than my postage to send it to them.
Pecatonica River Long Rifle Supply gets full marks from me for excellent service over the past 5 years or so. Although they stock a wide range of parts and can provide kits of various styles, their real forte is producing very good stocks - I believe they mill stocks for a number of other vendors too. Don't hesitate to phone them - they are happy to discuss your needs.
 
Back
Top Bottom