"Long Lee" - reproduction (or original) stocks, parts?

GrantR

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry if this information is already located here somewhere, but I couldn't find it ....

I am trying to help a Nebraska friend restore a "sporterized" MLM (commercial-production LSA MkII) and he is looking for a full-length fore-stock, handguards, long-range sight dial, barrel-band and nosecap .... yes, the same pieces everyone else in his boat wants!

I seem to recall some indication that reproduction wood might be available, at least. If so, can someone steer us in the right direction? Any ideas on the other hens-teeth and rocking-horse droppings he seeks? :rolleyes:
 
Your buddy thinking there will be more parts for a rifle that over 100 years old here? He's confused. You could try Western Gun parts though.
A commercial Long Lee was made that way, not sporterized to be that way.
 
I have found 2 original forends on eBay. One was for a Metford and the other for a long lee. They don't come up very often and when they do command high prices; I paid $350 for one and $450 for the other. Patience, and check eBay often. search "long lee Enfield" "lee metford" and "lee Enfield"
Most of them come from New Zealand or the U.K.

Cheers
 
ht tp://www.efdrifles.com/components_price_list.php

EFD is one place to try...they do make new stock parts etc although I don't see anything in the list for an MLM. ??

Could Sunray be right that the rifle, being commercial, was made as a sporter when new?
 
We have a DP marked Lee Metford here. The forend is in pretty nice shape although the top piece is missing. The gun has a complete set of volley sights mounted. PM me if you are interested.
 
A commercial Long Lee was made that way, not sporterized to be that way.

Wrong ..... you may be thinking of a Lee-Speed sporting rifle (or other such configuration) but a "commercial production Long Lee" (i.e. Magazine Lee-Metford or Magazine Lee-Enfield) was in fact a military-configuration rifle produced for commercial sale rather than on Government contract. There was a sizable market for such rifles, including the Volunteer Force in the United Kingdom(who supplied their own arms) the many civilians involved in service-rifle target shooting. My own MLE MkI* is just such a rifle:

MLE_composite_b_zpseb246a62.jpg


My primary purpose in posting was to see if anyone knew of somebody reproducing the wood already .....and thought I might as well ask about parts too, faint as that hope might be .... My friend already has a maker lined up in the US to make the needed pieces if necessary, but that would involve getting original pieces from somewhere on loan to be replicated, and in any event we were hoping to avoid "re-inventing the wheel" .....

Shooting Centre: I'll PM .... although he is in the US, so that might present a problem.

Colin: Don't suppose you have any contact information for the chaps you mention?
 
I picked up a commercial Long Lee a number of years ago at a gun show. Full military configuration, as built. Long Lee's, No 1 Lee Enfields, Sniders, and Martinis were all available as private purchase, commercial rifles in full military configuration. I currently have a 3 band Snider, Martini 303 carbine, and the Long Lee in commercial patterns. Unfortunately, the metal on my Long Lee is very corroded. It almost looks like it might have been exposed to salt water air for a long time, then refinished. I actually has a Sutherland rear sight and was probably a target rifle.
 
As you may be able to tell from the photos above, mine was definitely a target rifle and came fitted with a Sutherland sight. Engraved on the buttplate is what I assume is the owner's information: "C.V. Samuel - Toronto - Canada"

With the Sutherland sight, I actually found the sight picture much too "fine" for the "Victorian-era Military Action Shooting" that I do with this rifle (.... for which I need fast target acquisition on gongs and knockdowns scattered "in the bush", under variable light conditions ....) so it currently has a standard mil-spec rear sight installed -

d5c4db9d-a9aa-4106-9d50-8a71236e5a24_zps821c338e.jpg


28778cb2-8a0c-4c15-a7d9-27d1a0a28c0b_zpsf5ac3b19.jpg


I also installed a "correct" sling swivel on the barrel band, to supplement the "target shooting swivel" it had mounted on the triggerguard ...
 
I think Alberta Gun Stocks in New Norway, Alberta are the folks that are replicating old stocks as mentioned by CMichaud..If you cannot find a contact for them send me a PM.I do not know if they have reproduced a MLM. If not then we are back at finding a original to produce a template.
 
I think Alberta Gun Stocks in New Norway, Alberta are the folks that are replicating old stocks as mentioned by CMichaud..If you cannot find a contact for them send me a PM.I do not know if they have reproduced a MLM. If not then we are back at finding a original to produce a template.

I've talked to people that said that using a stock for a pattern can lead to it being all scratched and marked up. If someone had a nice rifle that should probably be kept in mind. I'm no expert on stock duplicating but have heard that.
 
A traditional pantograph style carving machine uses a stylus that is run over all surfaces of the pattern.
The pattern must also be mounted in the machine.
I suppose that a very careful operator could mount a stock using temporary fittings, and make one copy to produce the pattern to be used for production. Maybe the surface could be masked with a tape or other protective coating that would not damage the finish when removed.
I would be very nervous about using a stock in the condition that GrantR's is in.
From a commercial standpoint, depreciation in the value of a firearm resulting from damage would be part of the cost of doing business.
Years ago, I was involved in the making of dies for wax casting flintlock gun parts, starting with original parts, and the making of an aluminum casting of an original flintlock gun for a stock carving pattern. You have to be very careful.
 
one of those laser measuring devices would be good to create a 3D model without damage, you would still need someone that could take the 3D model and turn it into a forestock.
 
Back
Top Bottom