Looking for .500 S&W Magnum ammunition...

slegris

Regular
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys! I just bought a S&W model 500 from Frontier Firearms but without ammos :-( I found a store here in Quebec with only one box left!?! Winchester Super X 500 S&W 350 gr. JHP

It's 45$ before taxes so it's a really good price but like I said, there's only one box left so if you guys could help me to find another store, just post the link here please..

Cheers!
 
Start reloading

X2. Reloading is virtually a must. I reload for mine.

SW500TheHummer.jpg


I have and use a good selection of jacketed bullets and get an equal sized variety/selection of cast from a friend locally. 500 S&W ammo isn't something you'll find on many retail outlet shelves and what you do usually come across is very limited at best in bullet weight and configuration.
 
Hate to join in with the same but reload ;)

I didn't even both buying a box of ammo to shot and then reload, just bought components.

Considering the cost of factory ammo, it makes a lot of sense to reload right from the get go.
 
And casting too....

I cast 440gr - 650gr and 700gr projectiles

Sky's the limit....

As far as casting is concerned, getting the 500 S&W was a blessing in disguise. I have a friend close by that has the same and is into casting in a big way. As such, that was my first source of a variety of cast for the 500 and has since progressed to the supply for all of my cast bullet needs. I like reloading and working on load development but casting:rolleyes: was a aspect I could live without. Just to make sure;), I have since sold off all my casting goodies. The cast bullet weights I get for my 500 are, 350gr, 370gr, 410gr and 440gr:D.
 
The bullet Brother Rockeye is talking about is an LBT 500 gr wfn gc of .501" size, i don't have a .501" gun to test them with, but firing them must be an eye opener!
I didn't like the way the sizer was working on the first few batches as it is a wide bullet with shallow lube grooves, but have ordered dies and punch to do them on STAR equipment for better concentricity. I only mention this because I believe that a person can reload the .500 for less then half the cost of factory and prolly end up with an even deadlier cannon. The bullet looks mean just sittin' there.........Ben
 
they're fairly striking corkin a case as well.
Shown here just set in the case beside a 44spl.
25dd520ed1.jpg

Less than half the cost easy,the Hornady brass in the pic came from a box with a $53.99 sticker on it...so add tax... :eek:
 
I've mentioned it before, but one of the things that has amazed me about S&W's Cannon is the accuracy. Light or hot cast loads and any of the jacketed loads, virtually all shoot well. Accuracy for me did seem to drop off when I tried the Hornady 500gr.

IMG_1264.jpg


Here's the cast I use.

IMG_1267.jpg


And the jacketed.

IMG_1266.jpg


The 325gr Speer has been slightly modified by the addition of a cannelure groove for crimping.

Some of the earlier brass available took LP primers and using powders like H110, sometimes you'd experience ignition problems. I've kept this earlier brass aside and use it for lighter loads. At the time Starline came with access for LR primers which cured the ignition short comings. I believe most of the brass manufacturers not go with a design for LR primers.

Pardon the poor quality of some of the photos:redface:. I should've taken them out doors this afternoon
 
lol thats a monster of a handgun. I shot the 460 and that was hotter then i would want to shoot. Just sold my 44 too, my 357 is enough for me.
 

Nice!! And I like the barrel length. Have you shot the 8 3/8" and bigger? If so, how does/did it compare as far as recoil is concerned? I put a custom and modified set of Jordan Trooper stocks by Herritt's to 'tame' it a little. The rubber of the Hogue grips it came with is a little thin in the hump area of the grip and with any 'amount' of running heavy stuff through it, tended to be a little painful
 
Back
Top Bottom