Looking for Blunderbuss info? With pics.

mpjustin

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Location
BC
Hi all,

I just picked up a new to me Blunderbuss with a Damascus barrel. I know very little about these firearms and was wondering if someone could help me with the approximate year, origin, history and of course approximate value? The guns over all length is 22.5 inches and it looks like there hammer has been brazed back together. (Done well). The hammer has two #### positions and the spring is nice an strong.

The only marking appear to be v's and I's on the right side of the action.

Thanks in advance and enjoy the pics.

996f533b66a887b6b61a64f3a58690aa.jpg
[/IMG]

eda94a408d5c9168c791f04accd42c45.jpg
[/IMG]

1165b9015ed2eae0048d9db5f6057b8c.jpg
[/IMG]

5df88bafb8011b76ce775075e210056d.jpg
[/IMG]

0a577054e54a4aa035d6147d8c16616f.jpg
[/IMG]
 
Last edited:
Value? have no Idea, I just like shooting muskets and other old smoke poles.

Looks pretty solid and beautiful to me, stuff some black powder with a tow wad and shot down her gullet.
 
Beautiful barrel. As to age, I am going to cover all bases and say after 1700 and before 1830 :>) :>). The elaborate pattern welding of the barrel makes me suspect it is closer to 1800 than 1700, because I have read claims that pattern welded barrels did not become popular until somewhere around 1800. I also lean towards thinking the gun is from northern Europe because the engraving on the lock looks to good to be from India or similar. I can't get over the feeling that I have seen the gun before somewhere, within the last year, the elaborate pattern on the barrel looks familiar

cheers mooncoon
 
Look at the simulated lettering on the lockplate. Odd.
The frizzen spring attachment - is that original, or is it a repair?
 
Look at the simulated lettering on the lockplate. Odd.
The frizzen spring attachment - is that original, or is it a repair?

The lock is a real puzzler; it looks well made but the writing as mentioned appears to be simulated and the frizzen attachment peculiar to say the least. At least on the outside, the lock looks just to good to be a run of the mill Indian one. Mpjustin; are you on Vancouver Island ? I am sure that I have seen that barrel somewhere

cheers Doug
 
Thanks guys for all the info so far.

Doug - I am on the Island (North Nanaimo). If your close I would be happy to show you the gun in person to learn more.

Thanks again
 
I looked over this piece pretty heavily and arrived at the conclusion it was Middle Eastern, North Africa. It sure looks nice though. Reason I say it is because the lettering looks to be illiterate Roman numerals. Figured it was a Moroccan knee pistol.
 
I took the lock out of it and on the inside it is a well made lock. I forgot to take a photo. Were it not for the lettering where the name should be, I would have said it was a well made british lock. The engraving on the lock and #### and other portions of the gun are all in a similar style so the gun appears to have been made as found and is not a accumulation of parts

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks again everyone for you help and advise. I will continue to research the gun and post back if I learn anything further.
Cheers,
Justin
 
Back
Top Bottom