Looking for BPCR mentorship in Calgary or Lethbridge

The Buffalo Arms molds are very good. I mostly shoot black powder target rifle matches in the states ( mid and long range ) and Buffalo Arms molds are used by most of the top finishers these days.

I don't have my load data for my Winchester 1885 BPCR anymore as I sold the rifle to focus on my Shiloh's, but I remember that mine liked the 535 Buffalo Arms "money" bullets in .459" diameter, cast in 16:1. I also got great results with a Steve Brooks Creedmoor bullet which was 0.460" in diameter and had two reduced driving bands allowing the bullets to be seated out a bit for greater powder capacity.

Have you done any casting before this? If not that'll be one of the bigger learning experiences. Just make sure that you use an appropriate alloy. 20:1 would be a great place to start with the Postell bullet. Don't try making your own bullet lube. When I got started years ago I went down that road and it's just one more thing that'll slow you down while you are trying to get this stuff figured out. SPG lube is good, but I like DGL better as I often shoot in hot weather. Alberta Schuetzen Lube also works very well.

Another thing to think about, at least when comparing this type of reloading to smokeless, is that you want only a very little bit of neck tension, or even none at all. I sometimes use zero ( i.e. the bullets are a snug fit in the case, but you can seat them with just finger pressure, but most of the time I use annealed brass and about 0.001" of neck tension. You can buy custom expanders that fit your reloading dies from Buffalo Arms for this. They are pretty cheap. If you use too much neck tension you'll likely distort your bullets as you seat them. The expander plugs in a standard set of RCBS dies will give you too much in my opinion.

I'm sure you'll have a pile of fun. One other thing I'd say is don't wait too long to start shooting matches. Once you have even a half way decent load then get right into it. You will learn more at your first match than in an entire year fooling around at the range.

Chris.

How is it getting your rifle and ammo back and forth over the borders? I haven't cast yet but I have a friend with equipment that casts for cowboy action. I agree about not hiding out at the range, I'll compete as soon as possible.

Chris
 
I bought sheets of it from Bearing & Transmission in Saskatoon years ago. I’m almost out and need more. Some shooters use milk carton, Walters Wads are sold through a few vendors, and a few use LDPE sheets (but that’s not my thing). I use press mounted wad punches to make mine. Made by Fred Cornell.

Yeah the Fred Cornell cutters are excellent.

Chris.
 
How is it getting your rifle and ammo back and forth over the borders? I haven't cast yet but I have a friend with equipment that casts for cowboy action. I agree about not hiding out at the range, I'll compete as soon as possible.

Chris

It's pretty straight forward. You need to fill in the Form 6NIA and email or fax it to the BATF in the states. They will email you an approved form ( good for a year ) pretty quickly. At the border you'll want an invitation for whatever match you want to go to, plus the approved 6NIA form. The other thing you'll want is a form ( used to be called a Y-38 but it has a new name now ) which you get at the Canadian side of the border which tells them that you already own the gun you are bringing so they don't try and tax you when you get back to Canada.

Chris.
 
Heffley Creek near Kamloops has a silhouette shoot it June I believe. Valleyview used to have a silhouette or long range shoot but I don't know if it's still going. Saskatoon muzzleloader club has a 300 yard shoot still I think. Lethbridge has silhouette in July.
Bethune SK has an event I've heard lots about bit never attended. So there are events around but not a lot in the Alberta region.
There's lots more in the US but I will let people who have been talk about those.
 
Back
Top Bottom