Looking for good reading material

Actually most of Paul Matthew's articles and books are great reading. Working my way through "The Paper Jacket" and it kind of convoluted. "Loading and Shooting Single Shot Rifles" is another good one. And you can't go wrong with Mike Venturino articles.

I saw your nice shiny Shiloh in the post what you got. What are you planning on using it for?
 
That's great. What calibre? I'm just starting PP bullets in a 16 lb Bull barrelled .45-110 Montana Roughrider. I had the regular chamber cut with the 7 degree lead in to accommodate patched bullets.

Whereabouts are you at? I may know someone local to you that might be able to help get you started.
 
As mentioned already the Paul Matthews are excellent references for a beginner BP cartridge shooter, they cover everything from the very beginning to the very accomplished long range stuff. After spending the winter reading all of his stuff you can find (probably have to find them at gunshows or maybe the EE) I would then turn to the book by Mike Venturino entitled "Shooting Buffalo Rifles". Mike is a somewhat of an "accomplished " long range BP shooter himself but the book also has sections supplied by other BP competitors that he shot against so your not only getting one mans opinion but a lot of other national champions as well.

Just be aware that you are beginning down the road of the most frustrating discipline of the shooting world but will be the most rewarding when things do come together. Enjoy them both...
 
The Rifle by Hans Busk (1862) and also The Rifle (hope that is the correct title) by Whitworth (1864) The Bullet's Flight by Frederick Mann and books by Ned Roberts (can't remember the title)

cheers mooncoon
 
Yikes. The 2 7/8" case will be a learning curve for sure. I tried a friend's load in mine that seemed to shoot great. Filled the case with Fg Goex. 105 grains or so. Compressed .500", .030" wad, SPG live cookie about 1/16", another was then finger seat a 540 grain patched bullet. That's my starting point when I get around to it.

If you were located in the western half of the country, I might be able to find someone relatively local to you to shoot with, but don't know anyone that far East. That said, it's a good thing we have these corners of the Internet to get together and exchange advice and ideas.
 
Yikes. The 2 7/8" case will be a learning curve for sure. I tried a friend's load in mine that seemed to shoot great. Filled the case with Fg Goex. 105 grains or so. Compressed .500", .030" wad, SPG live cookie about 1/16", another was then finger seat a 540 grain patched bullet. That's my starting point when I get around to it.

If you were located in the western half of the country, I might be able to find someone relatively local to you to shoot with, but don't know anyone that far East. That said, it's a good thing we have these corners of the Internet to get together and exchange advice and ideas.

Yes it is. I try read a lot to familiarize myself. I wish there were more bp shooters in this end of Canada to share knowledge and experience.
 
Back
Top Bottom