Looking for help identifying a pistol

doowroh

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
GTA
I have an opportunity at a estate sale and there is an old flintlock pistol in what appears to be rough shape. I have only seen the pictures so far. I have not seen the pistol in person. It has what appears to be a unique trigger. Can anyone help to identify this? Any thoughts on what I should offer for it? Many thanks.

IKNzVEQ.jpg


cYIcLBP.jpg


xk9Kxl3.jpg


xk9Kxl3.jpg


I was having some newb image hosting issues (as in I could see them, but apparently you couldn't). Please let me know if you can't see the pics.

Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
Impossible to say without photos. You can place them on Imgur (free) then click on the image you want to put on gunnutz and click on the line near the bottom which says for message boards. That copies it and in your gunnutz posting paste it or click on "control V" on your keyboard

cheers mooncoon
 
Funny... pictures show up for me. Will try imgur.

Reposted pictures with Imgur. I practically live on an iPad, so right clicks and BB links aren't quite compatible. Hopefully they show up for you now.
 
Last edited:
I can see the photos now. If the previous photos were on Photobucket, they stopped allowing third party viewing which meant that while the person who saved the photo to Photobucket could see them, no one else could.

I can't see all of the details of the lock but I am almost positive it has a miquelet lock which means that the sear engages the hammer on the outside of the lock rather than engaging the tumbler on the inside of the lock. I would guess that its origin is the middle east from Turkey across through to Pakistan. Looks like the #### has broken off and the gun in general has fallen on hard times. In good working condition it would be worth $250 to $300 locally but in its current state I would think $50 to $75 tops. If you are good with your hands and some experience at working with metal, I guess it is worth buying but if you have to have someone else do the work, probably not worth buying

cheers mooncoon
 
Looks North African. Might be a real gun, might have been made for the tourist trade. Nominal value either way.
 
the frizzen looks like a snaphaunce style,

Just a note; the snaphaunce locks predated the french style flintlocks. On a snaphaunce, the pan cover is separate from the frizzen. The french have been credited with making a pan cover which was integral with the frizzen and which is what almost all guns use today. The miquelet lock can be either style and refers to the type of sear (which keeps the #### back) They usually have the mainspring on the outside of the lock plate. Miquelet locks were replaced by the french design over most or all of northern europe while the miquelets carried on in Spain, North Africa and the Middle East (I have no idea why

cheers mooncoon
 
In North American terms, a miquelet lock can be a snaphaunce (ie separate pan cover) or flintlock (integral frizzen and pan cover) or percussion. The sear operates side to side and engages the #### or hammer directly. The trigger has to pivot quite high up relative to the bottom of the stock. A snaphaunce refers to a lock with a separate pan cover and frizzen and can be either internal vertically operating sear (in which the trigger pivots quite low relative to the bottom of the stock) or a miquelet type sear.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom