I recently got a P. Webley & Sons comercial version of a Martini Henry Mk I. Mechanically and functionaly its in good shape, however a previous owner went over it with a rough abrasive.
I'd like to know more about the stamps on it, some are obviously from Webley, and I think some are form the armory that made it / or where it was inspected.
I'm curious to know if Webley made them completely or assembled them from military cast offs or bought them complete but without any WD / Sovereign's Cypher etc...
The images are a mix of scans (a bit distorted), and camera work.
Pic from the seller:
Right side
Right side
Stock and receiver have the same number
Close up of the number on receiver
Detail on the receiver at the barrel
Same number on barrel and receiver
Left side
Detail on left side of receiver, the Webley and Son flying bullet and an inspection mark
Enhanced (and flipped over) detail on the left side of barrel
P. Webley & Son, Birmingham, engraving top of barrel
Trigger group
The only WD stamp on the rifle, might be a replacement part?
Trigger group
The other side of the WD stamp on trigger
A Stag stamp in the trigger assembly, Swiss made?
Only one mark here
One mark here
No marks
No marks here either
You can see the scratches on the wood and the metal, I'd like to clean it up, maybe refinish it with the original 'browning' recipe, or maybe blue it. Any suggestions for refinishing it or leave it as is?
Thanks
I'd like to know more about the stamps on it, some are obviously from Webley, and I think some are form the armory that made it / or where it was inspected.
I'm curious to know if Webley made them completely or assembled them from military cast offs or bought them complete but without any WD / Sovereign's Cypher etc...
The images are a mix of scans (a bit distorted), and camera work.
Pic from the seller:
Right side
Right side
Stock and receiver have the same number
Close up of the number on receiver
Detail on the receiver at the barrel
Same number on barrel and receiver
Left side
Detail on left side of receiver, the Webley and Son flying bullet and an inspection mark
Enhanced (and flipped over) detail on the left side of barrel
P. Webley & Son, Birmingham, engraving top of barrel
Trigger group
The only WD stamp on the rifle, might be a replacement part?
Trigger group
The other side of the WD stamp on trigger
A Stag stamp in the trigger assembly, Swiss made?
Only one mark here
One mark here
No marks
No marks here either
You can see the scratches on the wood and the metal, I'd like to clean it up, maybe refinish it with the original 'browning' recipe, or maybe blue it. Any suggestions for refinishing it or leave it as is?
Thanks


















































