Looking for info on a Webley Martini Henry + what would you do with it?

john@

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
89   0   1
Location
Ottawa
I recently got a P. Webley & Sons comercial version of a Martini Henry Mk I. Mechanically and functionaly its in good shape, however a previous owner went over it with a rough abrasive.

I'd like to know more about the stamps on it, some are obviously from Webley, and I think some are form the armory that made it / or where it was inspected.

I'm curious to know if Webley made them completely or assembled them from military cast offs or bought them complete but without any WD / Sovereign's Cypher etc...

The images are a mix of scans (a bit distorted), and camera work.

Pic from the seller:
001.jpg


Right side
002.jpg


Right side
003.jpg


Stock and receiver have the same number
004.jpg


Close up of the number on receiver
005.jpg


Detail on the receiver at the barrel
006.jpg


Same number on barrel and receiver
007.jpg


Left side
008.jpg


Detail on left side of receiver, the Webley and Son flying bullet and an inspection mark
009.jpg


Enhanced (and flipped over) detail on the left side of barrel
010.jpg


P. Webley & Son, Birmingham, engraving top of barrel
011.jpg


Trigger group
012.jpg


The only WD stamp on the rifle, might be a replacement part?
013.jpg


Trigger group
014.jpg


The other side of the WD stamp on trigger
015.jpg


A Stag stamp in the trigger assembly, Swiss made?
016.jpg


Only one mark here
017.jpg


One mark here
018.jpg


No marks
019.jpg


No marks here either
020.jpg


You can see the scratches on the wood and the metal, I'd like to clean it up, maybe refinish it with the original 'browning' recipe, or maybe blue it. Any suggestions for refinishing it or leave it as is?

Thanks
 
It dont look to bad as is.
Id leave it, refinishing it tho will make it look nicer i wouldnt do that with such a nice clean unit.

If there very poor looking i refinish but thats a nice looking martini as it sits.
+ you dont know enough about it yet to be thinking of refinishing it.
 
Nice rifle!!
I have a 1887 long lever, There really great rifles.

If you are really set on refinishing her, a cold blue or brown can look good if carefully applied.
 
Nice rifle. It has the Mk.1 cocking indicator and the Mk.1 forearm attachment. Mark 1 rifles are harder to find than Mk. 3's and Mk. 4's. The trigger group is the later Mk.2 style so either it was made as a Mk.1 and upgraded to a Mk.2 or was made as a Mk.2 Very difficult to find. Condition is not too bad. I would leave it the way it is on the outside and just shoot it and enjoy. Don't try to reblue it as it will always look ugly in my opinion. By the way. I ordered a new forewood for my Mk.1 from a firm in Australia. It comes inletted and ready to final finish. Then all you need is a nose cap and a front barrel band to complete it. I see these Mk. 1/2s go for $2,500.00 when complete and unaltered, in good condition....British and Canadian issue of course....not the ones from the middle east. You have a diamond in the rough. Don't refinish wood or metal or the value will go for a dump. Dave
 
Nice looking gun, John. I just bought a sporting carbine last weekend made by Edwinson C. Green. I don't know much about them, but in trying to research it I found a site called martinihenry.com that has quite a bit on information including proof and other marks on the wood and metal. I think it said the WD with an arrow was the war department mark, so if it is a sporting rifle in is likely a replacement part. The site has links to other sites with good information.
 
Thanks for the advice, I'll leave the refinishing for another time, once I know more about it. For now its a shooter.

I forgot to mention, it has the MkI checkered iron buttplate.

What I'd like to do for this is try to make a no-gunsmithing scope mount. I'm thinking something like a b square bracket that bolts onto the sling mount point on the trigger gaurd, supports a weaver rail that runs from the receiver to the rear sight, and connects to the rear sight hinge.

Anyone ever seen something like this already made?
 
Back
Top Bottom