Looking for the best .243 ammo

adrigauthier

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Canada
I recently converted my .243 deer gun into a coyote rig. I've always had GREAT accuracy with 100grs at long distances. But since I've changed my loads to a 55gr I'm not getting nearly the same accuracy (in fact im having a hard time grouping under 2 1/2 at 200 yards). Any suggestions to a diffrent load?? Something that I will regain my accuracy but not rip up the dogs to badly??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Over here a lot of us shoot Norma - both versions - ballistic tip and soft-point. Depends how much you want to eat the coyote afterwards...

Seems to be faster than any of the US-made products but I've never chrono'd it - just read the box labels.

75gr Hornady V-Max bullet - 3330fps

100gr Hornady SP - 2986fps

Never seen a .243 round with bullets as light as you appear to be shooting - maybe your twist rate is causing the poor grouping? Especially as you note that shooting the 100gr bullets gave you accuracy and the bullets almost half the weight are sh!te. TBH, I'm not surprised - very few guns on the planet shoot well with two bullets with such vastly different weights.

You should expect five-shot groups of around 22mm at 100 from the average gun these days, anyhow.

My $0.02.

tac
 
The problem is almost probably a (1) too long jump with a short 6mm 55/58gr bullet combined with the bullet's (2) secant ogive design.

The solution might be a longer and tangent ogive varmint bullet such as Nolser 6mm 80gr Ballistic Tip or Sierra 6mm 80gr Blitz seated. Both these bullets are not too sensitive to seating depth and should reduce the bullet's "jump" compared to a lightweight 55/58gr bullet.

I've used Sierra 80gr Blitz with 37gr of Varget powder and a Federal Gold Match
primer with great accuracy (1/2 MOA 5 shot groups).
This is not a hot load but start low and make your way up!

Alex
 
Yes I am well aware that the rate of twist on my 243 is not compatible with the 55 and 58grs, thus the terrible accuracy. I compared the rate of twist of the 22-250, 223 and others and realized that the speedy varmint guns are in the 12" to 14" ratio, witch makes total sense as why they like the lighter bullets better. I was thinking of trying the 70gr. federal, any one have any experience with these??? And where does one find the "Norma" ammo in the western provinces??? If any one has any velocities on hand loaded 65grs please share!!
 
I had some nice groups at 100 yards with some Win 760 powder and the 70 gr Sierra matchking bullets. These would kill a coyote very well and do little pelt damage. I didn't chrony the load and the charge was a couple gr over max in the Sierra manual 46gr. My rifle is a Sako heavy barrel L579 from the mid 60's. FS
 
If you’re smackin gophers out to 300yrd sounds like a nice accurate group. Have you witnessed the damage on a yote with them???
 
Back
Top Bottom