Looking to buy my first antique handgun...any advice?

That's one of them! The other one I have a link posted on the previous page in my response to gmoon...only got one response so far regarding antique guns...and it ended up being not a antique due to its caliber..which I now know thanks to everyone here...so far kijiji has not been a very good spot for buying antique guns,well at least in nfld kijiji,but it don't cost much to post a ad..give it a goo!
 
...you got a better chance of getting my women rather then my car :p..hopefully she don't read this lol
Heh, heh! ;) Pray that she never does, or you'll be in deep doo-doo! :D Finding a good antique pistol for sale here in Canada (other than on our CGN EE) is slim pickings indeed. Sometimes you can get some pretty good deals on internet auctions in the USA, especially the less well known ones. I have a list of them that I sift through when I'm helping someone find a good antique. On the other hand, you never know where one will show up. I was talking with an old fellow in the church lobby a couple years ago and the subject got around to old guns. I told me he had a real nice S&W New Model #3 in 44 Russian that his grandfather had bought way back in the 1800's. The old fellow said he couldn't find ammo for it so he sold it for $25 to another local. I just about broke down and cried.
 
Heh, heh! ;) Pray that she never does, or you'll be in deep doo-doo! :D Finding a good antique pistol for sale here in Canada (other than on our CGN EE) is slim pickings indeed. Sometimes you can get some pretty good deals on internet auctions in the USA, especially the less well known ones. I have a list of them that I sift through when I'm helping someone find a good antique. On the other hand, you never know where one will show up. I was talking with an old fellow in the church lobby a couple years ago and the subject got around to old guns. I told me he had a real nice S&W New Model #3 in 44 Russian that his grandfather had bought way back in the 1800's. The old fellow said he couldn't find ammo for it so he sold it for $25 to another local. I just about broke down and cried.

25$!!!!! That would make you cry :'(..but that's the reason I always post adds on local classified websites,you never know what someone will respond with,I've got some pretty amazing deals over the years using kijiji and nlclassifieds..no guns but all kinds of other antiques,the thing I find about antiques,a lot of people don't know what they got which leads to a smokin deal....thanks for the advice!
 
That's one of them! The other one I have a link posted on the previous page in my response to gmoon...only got one response so far regarding antique guns...and it ended up being not a antique due to its caliber..which I now know thanks to everyone here...so far kijiji has not been a very good spot for buying antique guns,well at least in nfld kijiji,but it don't cost much to post a ad..give it a goo!

I used to use kijiji locally and bought a couple cars and a snow machine there a couple years ago. But i don't look there much any more, lately it seems like it's mostly low-ballers and scammers that reply when I listed something to sell, and scammers and dealers when i tried to buy.
 
I used to use kijiji locally and bought a couple cars and a snow machine there a couple years ago. But i don't look there much any more, lately it seems like it's mostly low-ballers and scammers that reply when I listed something to sell, and scammers and dealers when i tried to buy.

Very true..but they are really easy to spot so it's not a big deal,just abit of time wasted,but nothing ventured nothing gained :)...cash deals only is my rule for kijiji..or if their willing to ship C.O.D but their few and far between.
 
So these are your ads?


Wanted: NEED CHRISTMAS CASH?..READ THIS ADD!!





If you need some quick Christmas cash I may be able to help!!!..I'm looking for antique guns pre 1900's (mainly handguns),TAXIDERMY,advertising pre 1950's ,gas pumps,GOLD,ANYTHING With a motor,and almost anything else...if you have something just send me a email with details,pictures,price,location....please note if you have had your item forsale here on kijiji and no one has bought it chances are I will not be interested in paying what your asking...only looking for good deals on good items....CASH IN HAND!..NO BS HERE!

Currently away till the 21st but can arrange a family member to buy the item off you!!But you must be able to send me multipul pictures of your items for me to view as well as a detailed description.



Wanted: Looking for any pre 1897 antique handguns


Email me with details,price,and pictures.....BIG money paid for the right guns..will consider all guns in ANY condition...or even parts



???
 
So these are your ads?


Wanted: NEED CHRISTMAS CASH?..READ THIS ADD!!





If you need some quick Christmas cash I may be able to help!!!..I'm looking for antique guns pre 1900's (mainly handguns),TAXIDERMY,advertising pre 1950's ,gas pumps,GOLD,ANYTHING With a motor,and almost anything else...if you have something just send me a email with details,pictures,price,location....please note if you have had your item forsale here on kijiji and no one has bought it chances are I will not be interested in paying what your asking...only looking for good deals on good items....CASH IN HAND!..NO BS HERE!

Currently away till the 21st but can arrange a family member to buy the item off you!!But you must be able to send me multipul pictures of your items for me to view as well as a detailed description.



Wanted: Looking for any pre 1897 antique handguns


Email me with details,price,and pictures.....BIG money paid for the right guns..will consider all guns in ANY condition...or even parts



???

Ya their mine
 
Keep an eye out at the gun shows, every once in a while a gem comes along. I saw 7 1/2 inch pre 1896 Colt Bisely in 455( really rare) and 30,000 serial 7 1/2 inch barrel Colt SAA at a recent Gun show both were in beautiful original condition but pricey 6-7K( actually quite fair from a collector perspective). The SAA was in it's native 45LC so it was restricted. I have an appropriate cylinder that could derestrict it but just don't need another pricey piece, plus my wife would kill me if she ever figures out what I pay for these guns :)
 
Heh, heh! ;) Pray that she never does, or you'll be in deep doo-doo! :D Finding a good antique pistol for sale here in Canada (other than on our CGN EE) is slim pickings indeed. Sometimes you can get some pretty good deals on internet auctions in the USA, especially the less well known ones. I have a list of them that I sift through when I'm helping someone find a good antique. On the other hand, you never know where one will show up. I was talking with an old fellow in the church lobby a couple years ago and the subject got around to old guns. I told me he had a real nice S&W New Model #3 in 44 Russian that his grandfather had bought way back in the 1800's. The old fellow said he couldn't find ammo for it so he sold it for $25 to another local. I just about broke down and cried.


For my part :yingyang: . I wana find one of those "atic guns" that everyone else on CGN is always locating !.....:nest:
 
Keep an eye out at the gun shows, every once in a while a gem comes along. I saw 7 1/2 inch pre 1896 Colt Bisely in 455( really rare) and 30,000 serial 7 1/2 inch barrel Colt SAA at a recent Gun show both were in beautiful original condition but pricey 6-7K( actually quite fair from a collector perspective). The SAA was in it's native 45LC so it was restricted. I have an appropriate cylinder that could derestrict it but just don't need another pricey piece, plus my wife would kill me if she ever figures out what I pay for these guns :)

Ya wemon dont understand spending big money on old guns,but they will when in 10 years their worth twice as much as what ya paid(hopefully) and your getting enjoyment out of them as well..it's a win win in my point of view :)..unfortunately theirs not many gun shows/auctions around here,to the best of my knowledge anyways..but when I travel I will definitely be looking into gun shows,pawn shops,auctions,ect!..thanks for the advice!and the best of luck with the women :)
 
My wife has heard all the "investment" stories. She was sceptical at best and it didn't take her long to realize that was just an excuse. She accepts it because she knows it could be worse. Some married guys spend $$ on booze and girls, i buy old guns. From her POV it could be worse.
 
Last edited:
My wife has heard all the "investment" stories. She was sceptical at best and it didn't take her long to realize that was just an excuse. She accepts it because she knows it could be worse. Some married guys spend $$ on booze and girls, i buy old guns. From her POV it could be worse.

Very true and well said!
 
Never owned an antique that I sold which I didn't receive more than I paid, my wife used to call BS but caught on. Quality stuff always goes up, they're just rare, and typically $5,000-20,000+ not run of the mill. The cheap stuff's almost always cheap for a reason. Quality antique guns have outpaced any other investment I've ever made from stocks to real estate. Stick to the big names, Colt, Holland & Holland, Purdey, Mauser, Winchester etc etc and their desirable models and you'll do very well. Ask for and locate provenance if possible.
 
Never owned an antique that I sold which I didn't receive more than I paid, my wife used to call BS but caught on. Quality stuff always goes up, they're just rare, and typically $5,000-20,000+ not run of the mill. The cheap stuff's almost always cheap for a reason. Quality antique guns have outpaced any other investment I've ever made from stocks to real estate.

Note "quality".

Quality antiques do appreciate.

I started collecting Ross rifles several years ago. Haven't bought one for a while; can't afford to, good ones are out of my price range now.

However, I would suggest that antiques that have been permanently altered to create antique class shooters are not in this category. Their value is because they are functional pistols exempt from the restrictions placed on modern ones. If there is any change in the definition of antique, the value of these will crash.
 
Oh yes, and as for advice, never touch most anything, especially Webleys, Lebels, and so forth converted to .45ACP with a ten foot pole; the .45ACP exceeds the proof loads of the Webley for fact, and almost certainly of the Lebel and the others converted. The conversions also destroy the history and collector value, so there are many reasons to avoid them.
 
Note "quality".

Quality antiques do appreciate.

I started collecting Ross rifles several years ago. Haven't bought one for a while; can't afford to, good ones are out of my price range now.

However, I would suggest that antiques that have been permanently altered to create antique class shooters are not in this category. Their value is because they are functional pistols exempt from the restrictions placed on modern ones. If there is any change in the definition of antique, the value of these will crash.

Certainly agree, saving for quality will always pay. The axe is coming on all the converted to modern chambering stuff, it very clearly circumvents the intention of the regulations and won't last, and the good and original stuff will only appreciate more.
 
Oh yes, and as for advice, never touch most anything, especially Webleys, Lebels, and so forth converted to .45ACP with a ten foot pole; the .45ACP exceeds the proof loads of the Webley for fact, and almost certainly of the Lebel and the others converted. The conversions also destroy the history and collector value, so there are many reasons to avoid them.

.45 acp exceeds the proof loads of the last .455 webley(i forget witch mk it was ) and that one of more modern steel the antique webleys are of weeker metal and are proofed at alot lower pressure then even the mk VI(atleast i think the VI it may be the V)
 
IF .455 equivalent loads are assembled in the ACP brass, there is no problem.

When these Mk. I and II revolvers were dumped on the surplus market in the US, they were $9.95 and could hardly be given away, because of the lack of ammunition. Consequently the cylinders were put on lathes and turned back to accept .45 Auto Rim or .45ACP. The AR was probably OK, its pretty mild, compared with the ACP.
 
Certainly agree, saving for quality will always pay. The axe is coming on all the converted to modern chambering stuff, it very clearly circumvents the intention of the regulations and won't last, and the good and original stuff will only appreciate more.

First of all, it depends what you buy/bought your antique for, you need a really good idea of the market, otherwise you make mistakes very easily. This is definitely not advisable for beginners.
 
Back
Top Bottom