Looking to buy my first antique handgun...any advice?

Newfie_gun_nut

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
I recently decided to start collecting antique handguns and looking for a good first gun to buy,I'm looking for something good for target practice,relatively easy to get ammo for,and something BADASS lol,I have no price range (within reason),looking for any advice on a gun for me to try to buy,looking at a few SAA colt 44.spc,and a S&W 45. Schofield,any comments on those?im COMPLETELY new to this and know NOTHING about guns so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
 
I'd highly recommend first reading & learning about how to reload for these old-timers.....:yingyang: , b/c they're a whole 'nother "kettle of fish" to reload for....:wave:


But most people here are incredibly friendly: just keep an open mind.
 
Cyclone- thanks for the advice,I'm Completely open minded,and I'm trying to do my homework on antique guns,abit overwhelming though as I know just as much about brain surgery as I do about guns lol,that's why I'm here,looking for good advice from good people like yourself,thanks again
 
If you know nothing about guns, I would also recommend taking the firearms training course, including the one for restricted hand guns. You don't actually need this course as far as the law is concerned for antiques, but I would highly recommend it as far as safety and peripheral legal issues are concerned. Also, most fellows here (I think) will not sell an antique pistol to someone with no PAL, not because one is legally needed, but a PAL is one way of weeding out some of the criminal element (maybe .... sometimes .... possibly) and showing that the person has some training regarding safe handling of firearms.
 
Nice choices. Is there a handgun club nearby you could join? Or are you against joining a club? The antiques are great, I have a Schofield 45, but for a high volume target shooter, modern guns or even reproductions of old designs, are easier to load for as they are designed for modern, higher pressure ammunition.
 
Grizzlypeg-thanks for the advice,I'm not really looking for a modern gun,mainly what I want the gun for is for a wall hanger that will only increase in value,but I would like to be able to take it to the range and fire off a few rounds as well,im a member of the local rod and gun club (only 5kms for my house),but have yet to go there lol,I love the look and feel of the old guns,how do you find your schofield?
 
Last edited:
Probably the first question is "how much do you want to spend?" The SAA Colts are nice guns but also cost 2 to 4 times as much as most other cartridge antique handguns. If you are buying one as an investment, you have to decide what will the long term prices be for refinished or altered guns. Most collectors want handguns that have not been altered in any way, including refinishing. Many of the american guns on the EE have been refinished and in some cases replacement cylinders. That does not detract from them as shooters but it does impact their price if at some point in the future their value as an antique which does not require registration changes.

You might want to consider a percussion revolver, such as a Colt or Remington as a more economical first antique handgun because in shootable but worn condition they run $1000 - $1500 vs the $3000 - $5000 of the refurbished SAA Colts.

there are single shot muzzle loading pistols around but many are smoothbore and mediocre as target guns and the rifled muzzle loading pistols are harder to find and it can be a gamble on the condition of the bore

cheers mooncoon
 
Very helpful information mooncoon,thanks for the reply,I'm willing to spend some good money on a nice gun,around 5000-7000 would be my max..I'm really leaning towards a SAA colt,just trying to find one in really good shape and original for my price range maybe difficult if not impossible,I have a few messages pm'd to some very reputable dealers I found through here,just waiting to hear back.
 
Looks like you not only want a shooter, but you want a collector as well that will increase in value. That pretty much rules out refurbished Colts, as their collector's value has taken a big hit with the reburbishment. For the amount of money you are willing to spend, you might want to consider an original Smith and Wesson Schofield. Almost all of them saw action in the old west by the US Cavalry, but some are still in decent condition. I had one once and, like a stark raving fool, I sold it. The 45 Schofield cartridge is easy to load for. Starline makes the brass and LYman makes the dies. The bullets are standard 45 Colt lead bullets, but I strongly recommend using pure lead bullets, as the harder alloys will slowly stretch the frame with repeated poundings against the forcing cone.

For that price range, you might be able to get a pretty nice S&W New Model #3 in 44 Russian, or an even more desirable S&W 2nd Model American chambered in 44 Russian. I had one of those once too and like a blistering idiot, I sold it. The 44 Russian is also easy to load for, with Starline making the brass. I forget who makes the dies. Here is a photo of the one I had so you will know what I'm talking about (made in 1873) ...

2nd-American-Civil-Thumb-1.jpg


... and here is what a Schofield looks like (sob). It was made in 1875 ....

Schofield-Stump.jpg


Once you have decided what you want, if it is a S&W, PM me and I might be able to help you snag one, but it will be coming from the USA and Canada Customs charges HST when it comes across (I've brought a couple of them across and had to dish out the $$ for the GST/PST/HST).
 
Win 38-55 thanks for the very helpful information..those guns are amazing,acutally drooled a little,that 44 Russian is absolutely beautiful!,what would one like that in about the same shape cost?,
 
One thing I've noticed is that there are even still some "under-appreciated" antique firearms :yingyang: , and that's pretty much the "sweet spot" to go for both purchasing & collecting.....:wave:


The .320 revolvers are one such example (some still go for less than .32 rimfires, probably b/c many of the .320's out there are the Belgian 'Liege' ones), but it holds-true elsewhere, as well.


A pre- 1899 Marlin level-action rifle will similarly command less price than a pre-1899 Winchester...and there are more examples, too.


For the longest time (and to this day), Merwin-Hulbert's and S&W's haven't usually commanded the same price as early Colts.....so there's always opportunities.
 
Cyclone-that's some great advice,I will do some research,even though I'm looking for my first gun I'm sure once I find a good one,there will be a second,third.....40th ect :),so I will explore all the information that I get given to me :)..once again thanks for the reply
 
I like my Schofield. It's a 2nd edition, so its from around 1875. Barrel was cut down to 5". It has great ergonomics for holding and shooting, much more so than some of the early S&W designs that my hand barely fits between the grip and the trigger guard. The ammo is easy to load for, I'm using Trailboss powder, and a rather light load at that. The gun seems to shoot fine with 45 cal cast bullets, but accuracy is only on par for hitting a man sized target in the vitals at 20 yards. It's no tack driver. I do see these old guns as rather delicate, and don't put many rounds through it. I like the look of it, as well as the Colt SAA's and the Remingtons. I might buy a Remington 1875 (?) some day. Just to be different.
 
Back
Top Bottom