Looking to get an antique in shooting condition. What to get and where to get it??

dustin1706

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Alberta
Hey Guys,

I am a shooting enthusiast from nowheresville Alberta, I currently have 30 some rifles and am interested in shooting pistols. Now, I have no ranges near me and being Canadian, shooting a pistol on my own land in the middle of nowhere (even though i have an RPAL) makes me a criminal.... Unless it is an antique and is not one of the "Evil" calibers. Even as I type this I can't make any sense of it, but I prefer to abide by the law even if it means some extra expense and hassle.

So, I would like to pick up a prescribed antique cartridge revolver (not a percussion) in a caliber that I can buy commercially or reload myself. I don't want to carry it, hunt with it or use it for self defense, I just want to put some holes in a few pop cans and sheets of paper with some degree of accuracy. My main question is: for this purpose, what model and caliber would you guys recommend? And where can I find one for sale? I think I would prefer something that is already, or could be easily converted to a common modern cartridge like a 9mm or .45acp but will consider anything. Fixed, break open or whatever. Cheaper is always better but I want something that is safe and reliable and I am not concerned about it being all original or being a 'collector'.

On that topic, another question that I was unable to solve using the forum search is: Since the frame is the part that has to be antique, can a revolver be fitted with a post 1897 barrel, cylinder etc. and still maintain its antique status? Is this something that is commonly done to have a quality shooter that is not restricted?

A SAA would be awesome but the nice ones are out of my price range so I was looking at something like a S&W DA first model or an 1892 Colt.

Thanks!

Dustin
 
On that topic, another question that I was unable to solve using the forum search is: Since the frame is the part that has to be antique, can a revolver be fitted with a post 1897 barrel, cylinder etc. and still maintain its antique status? Is this something that is commonly done to have a quality shooter that is not restricted?

Yes. Yes it's very commonly done, that's how all of the .45acp .44sp and .38sp Colt SAA are done around here :D.
 
I am tempted to say get a single action because there is so little that can go wrong with them and they are comparatively easy to repair. The downside is that most of the antique handguns under $1500 are double action (I think). I would not get a Colt Lightning because they are a bugger to repair. Webley's are good solid guns (although double action). I would probably avoid healed bullets like the 41 colt.

cheers mooncoon
 
i dont know much about heeled bullets, although I've heard that supplies for the 41 colt are damn hard to find. You'd be best off sticking with something in 455 webley, 38 spl, or 45 acp. Although you'd best reload with lead bullets to preserve your barrel grooves.

My recommendation? Look for a french 1873 in 45acp or a reichsrevolver in 44 russian or 44 spl. those are relatively cheap (around $1400) and use common caliber ammo.
 
mooncoon, why would you recommend avoiding the .41 Colt chambered antiques? What is the major draw back of the heeled bullets? Just askin'

"modern" cartridges with inside lubricated bullets have a bullet that slides into a slightly undersized case and is held there by friction from the neck portion of the cartridge. It is fairly easy to resize the shell then bell the mouth slightly, force a bullet down and remove the slight belling. The mouth of the case is belled to allow the bullet to enter without shaving lead off of its sides. A healed bullet is loaded with just a short section in the case and while they are loaded more or less the same way, I feel they are a lot more fussy to get a good secure grip on the slug because so little of it is in the case. I think the healed bullets are largely a hold over from large caliber rimfires. I am not sure why rimfires are either always or almost always healed. Before you say it was because many were used in cartridge conversions of percussion revolvers, there were guns and cartridges like the Spencer and the Henry with preceeded them

cheers mooncoon
 
You could just go with a hollow base .41 Colt. Henry at Budget Shooter Supply sells components for that caliber.
 
I second the Reichsrevolver and 1873 revolver converted to 45acp or 455 suggestions. Both are very solid designs and shoot common calibers. Remember, no matter what people say, they are not built to shoot modern ammunition. Some might be fine for a bit, but they'll take a beating over time. Cowboy action loads might be ok, I just reload for them - it's pretty easy with these old guns, and then you can tune your loads for exactly what you want.


Also - remember that antique ownership is something of a priviledge. You WILL have to learn the laws regarding their use, because most firearms owners and ALL police officers don't. If you do not have the relevant paperwork and knowledge you not only risk having your own antique confiscated, but also threaten other's ownership.
I'd suggest reading the stickies at the top of the page - There are quite a few ranging from antique laws, the technicalities in shooting an antique in the woods, transport and use regulations, reloading for antiques and proof marks determining antique status. Well worth your time, especially if you ever run into a police officer who's convinced you're a dangerous criminal shooting an unregistered restricted or prohibited handgun in the woods. A little knowledge and supporting paperwork will save you a world of grief.
 
even if the antique ischambered ina modern cal dose not mean you can shoot modern ammo in them

the .45 acp webleys are not safe with modern ammo the ones that are antique have a very low proof pressure tht the .45 acp is almost double if not more idk about other guns in .45 acp you need cast bullets too for these guns its the safe way to go

remember this just because te cartridge fits does not mean its safe a .303 will fit in a .455 webley and it will go bang(single fed into the chamber that is lined you with the barrel) but its not something that should be done
 
Some good information here. Thank you all very much.

The reichsrevolver and 1873 are both pretty interesting. I keep meaning to get into reloading, but instead I usually just end up shooting more .22 so this may give me the motivation to finally pull the trigger (sorry, had to) on some reloading equipment. Would definitely load as recommended with limited loads and lead bullets.

Where are you guys' favourite placed to buy antiques either in Canada or willing to ship to Canada?

Thanks again!
 
Back
Top Bottom