Looking to trade: My mortal soul for some black powder

Big_Bear

Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Location
Southern QC
Jeez! I've been looking for a local (montreal area) source for black powder for a while now and have come up empty handed. I know Higginson's has Pyrodex but I'd like to get my hands on the real deal. Is it just Quebec or are you guys having a hard time getting it too? I know shipping is an issue and in most cases you'd need to buy a large quantity to justify the cost.

Anybody got any clues on how to get some?

Much obliged!
 
Jeez! I've been looking for a local (montreal area) source for black powder for a while now and have come up empty handed. I know Higginson's has Pyrodex but I'd like to get my hands on the real deal. Is it just Quebec or are you guys having a hard time getting it too? I know shipping is an issue and in most cases you'd need to buy a large quantity to justify the cost.

Anybody got any clues on how to get some?

Much obliged!

I'd order some off Rusty Wood trading Company, shipping isn't too bad and it's 26$ per pound which is pretty good.

He carries Grafs in 1F as well which is nice. Hard to find anything but goex usually.
 
Some guys I know in the US order theirs online, and have it shipped USPS. I don't think that's going to happen in Canada. One possibility would be if there is a receiving agent near the border on the US side, you could have it shipped to them. We have a guy in North Dakota, about 500 meters from the border, that we get all kinds of stuff shipped to. He charges a reasonable fee, like $5 for small parcels, emails you when it arrives, you pick up in person. Another possibility, of course, is to just buy it at a shooting store in the US. One small technicality is that you are perfectly legal bringing BP across the border, but not transporting it from the store to the border. If you get caught by US cops, you are a foreign national in possession of explosives. :(
 
Very true Easyrider, under the Patriot act, et al... the US will likely jail anyone who exports explosives without a license......and not for a few months either!.. and forget about using your passport/Nexus to ever enter the US again.
 
Like Gérald said, Londero in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu is the place to go, I buy all my Goex there and he always have some on stock,
but it is better to call before.
 
Yes! Thanks for the feedback folks. I went to check out Londero Sports in St-Jean sur Richelieu. Great place, lots of reloading stuff and they had Goex FFg in stock. What a find. Thanks to those who suggested it. As for getting the good stuff south of the border as per Easyrider's suggestion, I wonder if my friend in Vermont met me at the Canadian border with say a case of Swiss, would that be kosher? I'll have to look into it - the lower prices and better powders sure are tempting.

For now I've got my drop tube set up and I have a batch of re-lubed factory cast boolits ready to go. Time to load up some black loads and give Easyrider's 1886 in 45-90 a proper day at the range.

Good shooting everyone.
 
The issue is the USA Homeland Security and the Patriot Act that puts severe restrictions and penalties for improper EXPORTS of gun parts, reloading components (like empty rifle brass even). Canada Border Protection will let you bring in "up to 7 kg of black powder in containers not exceeding 0.5 kg each." 7 kg is 15.4 lb and 0.5 kg is slightly more than a pound so you can bring back 15 one-pound cans if you can get someone down there to sell it to you. Apparently US citizens can buy and transport up to 50 lb of BP as long as they can satisfy the law that it is to be used in sporting arms.
 
Back
Top Bottom