Lord Flintlock pistol

Musketfire

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Algoma region
Hello Gentlemen

One of our own sold me a very interesting project antique flintlock pistol a few months ago.

The lock Is marked Lord and the barrel has profuse British proof markings.

Its a really fascinating example, imagine if it was the dueling pistol Meriwether Lewis sold off with his dress tunic to the Mandan tribe on his return trip East.

Or some settlers home defence or a savage dragoons arm....



DSC01510.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01505.jpg
 
Initial stripping and inspection

First stripping showed some heavy damage and cracks, a wood screw and a old rivit of some sort held the pommel together.

Remnants of leather washers on the lock screws.

Barrel is very thick in very good repair, bore is dark and will really shine with a tiny bit of a hone.

DSC01594.jpg

DSC01558.jpg

DSC01553.jpg

DSC01551.jpg

DSC01559.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01523.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

DSC01549.jpg
 
I imagine with all the damage on her I might as well give her a rebuild.

So with Acraglas and walnut dowels and slabs I set to it.

Shes tight and strong again.

The black stain ring "not the acraglas" around the upper wrist dowel is rust staining embedded deep from the washer used by the old rivet, I may cover that with a brass thumb plate one day....

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01776.jpg


DSC01779.jpg

DSC01790.jpg
 
Last edited:
Oiled and assembled

Well,
so here she is Oiled and assembled.

She needs a few more raw linseed/mineral spirit sessions the pan area needs to be cleaned a bit more and the bore needs more attention I want to make new leather washers for the sidelock screws, generally clean up the metal little bit more and maybe replace one or 2 of the butchered screws.


The lock is really sparky and I imagine she will now function as she was origionally intended.

Cheers!!

DSC01812.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom