Loyalist arms muskets any good?

FARMHANDYO

CGN Regular
Rating - 90%
8   1   1
Hello all,

I am looking for a 1842 Springfield musket. The only place that I know of that sells these are loyalist arms. I understand that these are made in India and are safe to shoot with normal loads from the era. Other muskets made by Pedersoli are over $1500 and are just not affordable. I also dont want to pay that much for a gun that is not even rifled, not worth it to me in my opinion. Pedersoli also does not make the 1842 Springfield. I welcome all opinions on these muskets from loyalist arms. Im just looking for a gun to shoot round balls in with a patch just to add to my collection.

Thank you.
 
I don`t have one from there but do spend a lot of time on an American forum. they generally have nothing but good things to say about Blair`s offerings at Loyalist. I know that have one, maybe two manufacturers that they deal with exclusively. when they do get some that are not up to spec, they sell them at a discount and it is stated whats wrong with it.

Haters will be everywhere, but loyalist is a good choice for an Indian musket IMHO.
 
I bought a blunderbuss from them a few months back
They were excellent to deal with and the quality of the firearm seems pretty good
I have yet to fire it though
 
Traditions seems to have a reproduction of the 1842 but $1200 American is alot. Its also rifled. I would prefer a smooth bore.
 
Several years ago my wife bought me one of Loyalists flintlock pistols - an Indian made reproduction of a .65 Prussian calvary pistol. It works fine and is fun to shoot; however, the trigger pull is terrible.
 
Pretty sure u can purchase muskets state side! So if u dont like the selection here in Canada, u could always try a place like Dixie Gunworks down in
merica. I personally settled on a pedersoli, simply because i would rather not trust my life to East Indian workmanship.
 
Pretty sure u can purchase muskets state side! So if u dont like the selection here in Canada, u could always try a place like Dixie Gunworks down in
merica. I personally settled on a pedersoli, simply because i would rather not trust my life to East Indian workmanship.

I know several re-enactors who have had pedersolis for DECADES and they are still glad they bought one. I'm totally with you. If I am going to fire it live I want something that is proofed and marketed as safe to do so.
 
Last I looked, percussion cap rifles were classified as firearms. Flintlock not. ( both percussion and flintlcok pistols are restricted)

Shawn will be along shortly to give you the lecture.

You are quoting for Canadian firearm laws....

US Federal laws does not classify muzzleloading arms as firearms. That being said state law may differ from federal law in a few states like NY, MD, IL, NJ. As such ML arms do not fall under ITAR for export but again certain states may require a ML only to be transferred out of state to a FFL. But in general you are good to go to buy a ML longarm from the US and have it shipped to Canada. Pistols you will have to get all the info first from the seller and then submit it all to the CFO to get docs to import the pistol(s) to Canada.
 
Last I looked, percussion cap rifles were classified as firearms. Flintlock not. ( both percussion and flintlcok pistols are restricted)

Shawn will be along shortly to give you the lecture.

Modern reproduction pistols are R. Original guns are antiques. Makes me sad, I would so buy a flintlock pistol if it wasnt R... I'll still likely get one eventually, but to be able to shoot one in the bush with my friends would just be a riot...
 
Buy Canadian. I own an original 1816 Pattern flint, all correct. It is made in Valley Forge 1828 and soon selling it. Soldier's initials carved and would have seen combat in Mexico and US Civil War.
 
My buddy and I have 1728 Brown Bess flintlock muskets from Loyalist Arms; I have a Transitional Model, my buddy has a First Model - we are both very pleased with them, function very well, look/feel great. Pre and post sales service, and advice & support is first class.
 
Back
Top Bottom