Lube for a mini ball

Well...I don't know if you are fooling or not but....neither is any good as both contain salt which will corrode as quickly as black powder. If the ball is being loaded without a patch then just lube with one of the commercial BP lubes. I make my own which is beeswax, crisco and olive oil. If the ball is being patched then lube the patch with one of the above.
 
I haven't got a ton of experience with this type of thing but I've been using hot parrafin wax dripped into/onto some bullets I got from dantforth bullets with very good results. Works well in a snider anyways.....
 
Bore Butter

I use Thompson Center's bore butter. It comes in a squeeze tube which helps. I just squeeze out enough to fill the base of the minnie, that way I get a minimum amount on myself. It keeps the fouling soft but to keep your musket accurate wipe the bore between shots.

Cheers. Steve.
 
I just put 10 rounds through my snider today lubed with super cheap melted candlewax. Ultra cheap and the gun came clean very easily with the first patch coming out barely fouled after some hot water and a bore brush. I use a little bore butter after I'm done cleaning though....
 
I have used straight crisco, a crisco beeswax mix, and a crisco beeswax murphys oil (soap) mix. All work well depending on the temperature. Straight crisco works well in realy cold.
The murphys oil mix keeps fouling to a minimum and clean up with hot water is quick and easy.
 
Back
Top Bottom