Lubing Paper-Patched boolits

Yodave thanks, I always wondered why you guys refer to your projectiles as "boolits"...I assumed it was a BP "thing" and not a spelling error. Laugh2

it gets as much flack as clip/magazine when the old grumpy guys get wound up..............but it is what it is.............deal with it.........

take a old case and drill out the primer pocket so you can use it as a punch, then insert a dowel and push your cards back out of the case....nothing fits better then cutting your over powder cards with the case you intend to use them in.............
 
Oldrodder, where did you get the paper?

I got 100 sheets from Buffalo Arms for $10.00
I also got a pad of 36 sheets for $5 from Staples. The pad from Staples provided over 700 patches! I also bought the 45 cal template from Buffalo Arms.
The stuff from B.A. is loose while the Staples paper is in pad form. I just place the template on the paper, hold it securely, cut around it with a razor knife (Olfa)
and I have 36 patches, ready to go!!!

Mike

Mike
 
Alox and paper don't mix.
The paper patch is supposed to "jacket" the bullet while in the bore and then fly of as confetti once it exits the muzzle. (Having been sliced into ribbons by the rifling)
If you "glue" the paper to the bullet with alox this can't happen.
Paper will stick to the bullet almost guaranteedtly in a manner which allows partial separation of the paper. Your bullet will fly with a "kite string of paper on one side, none on another side and glued fast on yet another side. Not a recipe for accuracy.

The only lube I have read about ON a paper patch was graphite (non sticky)
With a lube cake sandwiched between thin card to protect powder and paper patched bullet.
 
I picked up this description after doing a google search. Boolit appears to be another one of those bs words like "directionality" that keep appearing on tv. You will note that boolits are what are cast using bullet molds.

cheers mooncoon
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The word "boolit" is a made-up word and is not part of the English language. It is a deliberate misspelling of the word "bullet". The origin of this term seems to have come from a forum called castboolits.gunloads.com and spread from there on to many other shooting forums (mostly those with a lot of American members). As per the forum, a boolit is a projectile that is hand cast by a person for use by an individual, whereas a bullet is a machine-made projectile made by a commercial company for mass consumption. Another common difference per the forum members is that a "boolit" is cast from a mold, whereas a "bullet" is a jacketed projectile.

In the good old days, many fire arms came with their own bullet molds.
 
Yodave,
I took your advice and tried a 45-70 case to cut wads, but the edge curled up rather quickly, even cutting on a piece of teflon/nylon. I had a few 45 ACP steel cases and that worked admirably! The 7/16" punch is .445" and the 45ACP case wad is 455"
Thanks for the tip,
Mike
 
I use Roosters paper patch lube dilluted 50/50 with water applied to the paper jacket by hand, then drying nose down over night. I use a .060 veggie wad over powder wad, then a 1/8" lube cookie, DGL product for black powder. then a .030 veggie wad over that then hand seat the paper patch bullet over that.

Ricky
 
I use Roosters paper patch lube dilluted 50/50 with water applied to the paper jacket by hand, then drying nose down over night. I use a .060 veggie wad over powder wad, then a 1/8" lube cookie, DGL product for black powder. then a .030 veggie wad over that then hand seat the paper patch bullet over that.

Ricky

What...no cheese on your burger!? Laugh2
 
If you want something thinner than the paper that Buffalo Arms sells then try the 8lb Seth Cole paper. You have to order it from the states in rolls. I generally get better results with that paper than the Buffalo Arms stuff ( which I think might be Bienfang 9lb ).

Chris.
 
Chris, I too made the switch to the Seth Cole 8 lb tracing paper from the 9 lb stuff from Buffalo Arms stuff. It is a wee bit more fussy to roll when damp, but drys up with a double wrap just under bore size which means that I can seat the bullets in the case as shallow or as deep as I need, and well into the bore so no jumping the leade.

I found that Randolph Wrights book on paper patching was the absolute best investment in reading that I have made in years.

Ricky
 
Back
Top Bottom