Lyman GPR adjust half-#### position?

Thin_Blu_Line

New member
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
Location
Manitoba
I finally managed to get one of these rifles. I note though when at half-#### there isn't enough room to fit a cap onto the nipple. Is there a way to adjust this at all??? Found the owner's manual but not surprisingly it doesn't get into this.
 
Last edited:
You really have only three options.

1. Reduce the depth of the half - #### notch in the tumbler by welding it up and filing a new one, or

2, Try to locate a sear arm that is a mm or two longer than the factory one and adjust the length of it to the notch to give more clearance above the nipple. You might even get a skilled welder to extend the existing sear arm length to get the desired effect.

Heat and bend the shank of the hammer to give more clearance

Option 2 would be my first choice, especially if i could buy a replacement for a few $$ from a source like TOTW.

Good luck
 
You really have only three options.

1. Reduce the depth of the half - #### notch in the tumbler by welding it up and filing a new one, or

2, Try to locate a sear arm that is a mm or two longer than the factory one and adjust the length of it to the notch to give more clearance above the nipple. You might even get a skilled welder to extend the existing sear arm length to get the desired effect.

Heat and bend the shank of the hammer to give more clearance

Option 2 would be my first choice, especially if i could buy a replacement for a few $$ from a source like TOTW.

Good luck

Hmmm yes indeed.. I'm liking option 2 best! And thanks so much for the input!
 
I had the same question not long ago.

Tried bending the hammer, that failed; I ended up welding the half #### notch & filed a new one. I have had it through it's paces since with no issue, even ran it all day at our local open house and very happy with it. Couple hundred rounds through it at least since the "mod"

There is a fourth option: I have an older one I built in 1991/92 (not sure of the mfg date but 1990 or older) and THAT one has the 1/2 #### well up, more than enough room to get the capper in. I was highly unimpressed with their "new design" - but based on my older lock, if you can source one of those it should also put the 1/2 #### where you want it. And yes I compared hammers, they appear identical in geometry.
 
Back
Top Bottom