NorthCoastBigBore
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- Northwest BC (Rural) 103-I-##
I built one of these in .54 about 26+ years ago, gets used every year a fair amount, so I'm pretty familiar with that vintage. Happy with it, it's always worked.
I was just given another Lyman GPR, quite a bit newer (in .50, but that doesn't matter). I'm not sure what year exactly, but from what I understand, it's probably 5-10 years old. I just got it out today for the first time.
The Problem: The half-#### on the "NEW" GPR sets just clear of the nipple. Can't decap or cap with the hammer in that position. So I have to cap on full ####, which I really don't like.
I pulled the lock (I should have taken some pictures) and it looks like that is where this lock is intended to sit on 1/2 ####, which makes no sense at all.
The rifle (I'm told) has never been fired before I got it, and everything looks clean, tight and unmolested. No mashed up screw heads, drift pin marks, dings, file marks, rust, or anything like that.
The Question: Anybody experienced this in a GPR? Any solution? The locks are coil spring with a fly, I'm not seeing a way to assemble it "wrong" and still have it work otherwise, but maybe...? I've certainly considered milling or filing another notch for the sear to set in but I figure I'll ask before taking that route.
Any insight is appreciated...
NCBB
EDIT: I should have googled this first, looks like a know "flaw" in the design. I'll let the question stand though in case some enterprising shooter has a confirmed fix.
My 1991-ish GPR certainly does not have this issue...
I was just given another Lyman GPR, quite a bit newer (in .50, but that doesn't matter). I'm not sure what year exactly, but from what I understand, it's probably 5-10 years old. I just got it out today for the first time.
The Problem: The half-#### on the "NEW" GPR sets just clear of the nipple. Can't decap or cap with the hammer in that position. So I have to cap on full ####, which I really don't like.
I pulled the lock (I should have taken some pictures) and it looks like that is where this lock is intended to sit on 1/2 ####, which makes no sense at all.
The rifle (I'm told) has never been fired before I got it, and everything looks clean, tight and unmolested. No mashed up screw heads, drift pin marks, dings, file marks, rust, or anything like that.
The Question: Anybody experienced this in a GPR? Any solution? The locks are coil spring with a fly, I'm not seeing a way to assemble it "wrong" and still have it work otherwise, but maybe...? I've certainly considered milling or filing another notch for the sear to set in but I figure I'll ask before taking that route.
Any insight is appreciated...
NCBB
EDIT: I should have googled this first, looks like a know "flaw" in the design. I'll let the question stand though in case some enterprising shooter has a confirmed fix.
My 1991-ish GPR certainly does not have this issue...
Last edited:


















































