Lyman GPR vs Trade

Dsiwy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Well it's time to add a 4th BP gun to my collection :)

I already have a Brown bess repro, Colt 1860 Army and Snider. I have been eyeing up a Lyman for more accurate plinking on the range and maybe deer hunting in the future "not a must". I am leaning towards a 50cal as the rounds balls are cheaper and easier to find "I assume".

Is there a huge accuracy difference between the Trade rifle 1:48" and Great plains rifle 1:60" using round ball?
 
I've seen the Trade and GP rifles for sale on the EE but if you get a chance (If don't see it first!! haha) grab a Lyman Deerstalker percussion in .50 cal. Silly accurate with roundball.
Last time I looked nobody was selling the Lyman new in Canada (I got mine from Lebarons).
 
Did you find one yet? I shoot a .54 Lyman Trade Rifle with a few guys who are using GPR's. We shoot offhand so its hard to say which is more accurate. The guy who holds the steadiest wins. The Trade Rifle is lighter so might be an advantage. If you can find one with a set trigger, I'd go for it. I'm usually quivering at the time to shoot and the hair trigger is nice. The finish and fit of these rifles is amazing. European Walnut is gorgeous. Mine has a brass patchbox (which I don't use) and is missing one thimble that holds the ramrod in. Good luck!Lyman close up.jpgLyman.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Lyman close up.jpg
    Lyman close up.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Lyman.jpg
    Lyman.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom