M/H Neck Sizing Die

milcol

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there such a thing as a neck sizing die for the M/H case after firing the inside dia. of my case is .468 and just running the case into the f/l sizing die only enough to neck size brings it down to .460 I then have to expand it back to .467 which overworks the brass, if not a neck size die available is it possible to hone the sizing die in order not to make the neck so tight
.
 
Seems to work fine on my 577-450 Epps Improved. Made my own as I only have about 1/2" of neck. Using Magtech brass as well. Many uses and only neck sizing necessary.... but not sure if it would work on standard 577-450 cases. Best of luck.
Cheers
Jagaur/TheCounty
 
My idea would be to find an old 45-70 die and try it screwed most of the way out. If the base of the die doesn't size it enough cut rings off the bottom till you get to the point that it does.

Not sure how much taper there is in a 45-70 die though so not sure if that would do it for you or not....

I actually have a similar problem with my 8X58R dies and haven't decided what to do with them. Right now I just accept that the cases aren't going to last but they are a lot easier to make than what you are dealing with.
 
There's usually a F/L or Seating Die for some other chambering that will do the trick. Browse through here: http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

I shoot both of those and I use:

577-450 - 45/70 F/L Sizer and;
8x58RD - 325 WSM F/L Sizer (the Universal 8mm Neck Sizer).

If the F/L sizer is a bit too tight, you can try the Seating Die.
 
Last edited:
Yes, a neck sizing die was made by "NDFS" or North Devon Firearms Service in England. They went out of business long ago but I have heard that someone has resurrected the company. Maybe Google would help. I have a neck sizing die with two different sized buttons for the neck. They do come up for sale rarely. Good luck. Mine is my most valuable tool for reloading the M/H. Dave
 
I happened to notice an ad in the latest issue of Rifle. Top left hand corner of page 38. Meacham T&H Inc. from Peck, Idaho. Looks like they have some sort of bushing neck size die system like benchresters use. Phone them at 208-486-7171. Website is www.meachamrifles.com. I'd heard of them, but have never used or seen their products.
 
Check the dimensions of the 45 Long Colt...you may be able to use the sizing die a neck sizer.
I actually used this for neck sizing 45-75 ammo for the 1876 Winchester.
Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom