m/l load changes for accuracy?

Suka

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Hi,
Just tried out my new(to me) m/l today, what a BLAST!!! It's basically a clone of a lyman deerstalker 1 in 48 twist 54cal.

I was shooting t/c pre lubed patches to which I added a drop of hoppes #9+ and worked it in with my fingers around a .535 speer roundball over from 60-80gr of ffg. I noticed no change in accuracy from 60-80gr.
I got it sighted in from 75yds, and found after 5 shots accuracy diminished, dry brush, patch, 5 more, then cleaned with hoppes to dry patch, and again. (when I got home I cleaned it with soapy water, dried, oiled, dried)

My real question is, what to change to try; I've got some hornet's nest, or should I try a double patch, different patch material, different projectile? Nearly all my shots were on the paper, any suggestions I should try for chances of increased accuracy or consistancy? Also, anyone in Canada sell mini balls?
Thanks for your replies. I don't have any problems, just looking for suggestions to try.
As a side note, the first two we're off the paper. Has a set trigger, making the first a hair trigger. "Okay, set trigger, breathe in..boom, sh!t", darn tha't light", ha.
 
go to any good gun store and pick up some bore butter/ patch- bullet lube for black powder
so you can make your own patches (use cotton only)

if you find it hard to push a ball home use more lube, after 20 rounds i can push a ball home with less force than the first round

you can use it on the barrel after you clean it

have fun:D shooting the BP
 
You can experiment with different thicknesses of patch material. I have used denim, real all cotton denim blue jean material. Hint here...if you have a pair of well worn/worn out jeans you will find at least three different thicknesses of material. The back of the calf will be thickest, the front of the thigh to just above the knee will be thinner...the thinnest will be just slightly above and slightly below the knee. You can purchase black powder patch lube, which works OK. OR...you can make your own patch lube/bore cleaner. Hint here...you will achieve your best accuracy by a simple quick bore cleaning after every shot...not a thorough detail clean. Swab with one patch soaked with bore cleaner, then dry the bore with a another patch, then load.
Bore cleaner, aka "Moose Milk"...1 part water soluble oil, 1 part Lestoil, 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide, 10 to 16 parts water. Patch lube...simple idea...Crisco shortening.
Once Black powder get in your blood it is addictive!!!!
Cheers
 
Welcome to the dark side!

In my experience the 1-48 twist will give best accuracy with loads a bit on the lighter side when using round balls. Its a compromise twist that is meant to work ok with both balls and conicals like Maxi-balls. Probably shoot Maxi's best with a quite heavy charge.

For lube I use something similar to the moose milk formula that Alonzo gave. Works as a lube and cleaning solution. Crisco would be better for hunting or anytime that you are going to be loaded for more than 5 minutes or so.

For that size ball I would start with about a 15 thou patch and experiment with what loads well. Also inspect the recovered patches for ripping and burning after use. Never use any fabric with any synthetic fibre - stick with cotton pillow ticking, denim or even light canvas. What I bought last was listed as some sort of window blind backing. The fabric store people look at you a little odd when you use a micrometer to check all the different materials but it work and a yard of fabric will keep you shooting a very flong time.

The Lethbridge black powder club has a table at the gun show every year and shoot the first sunday of the month in the summer.
 
I had a .50 Deerstalker for many years, and it was a little fussy on how much lube I used on the patches. I used .18th pillow ticking and a little liquid wonderlube, if I soaked the patch accuracy fell off, and a wonder wad under the patch/ball pushed by 80g of Pyrodex RS. It would shoot into 2" at 80 yards all day long. Many whitetails fell to that rifle, some as far as 110 yards but most under 50 yards. I always clean my rifle at the end of the day with soap and hot tap water, then wipe it all down inside and out with Ballistol, and check it again within a day or two.
 
For patching I will purchase linen tea towels when on sale - wash them and then cut them up in to 1" strips for .45 and .50 caliber.
I use a beeswax / murphies oil patchlube, hot mixed and dip the patch strips into the mix when hot.
Also make sure the sprue is up and the mold marks are oriented the same in the bore every time - makes a difference in group sizes.
 
Do a google on a place in the US called Track Of The Wolf. It is a black powder geek heaven - they carrry it all! I find getting some components tough to get up here and order through them all the time and they have treated me well.

I get felt wads from them to put over the powder charge rather than hornet nest and it works like a hot damn. These rifles are deadly accurate at close range once you learn how to feed them...
 
Buffer load

Welcome to black powder shooting. A patched round ball is as effective as any conical under 100 yards (in my opinion) so unless you are hunting some kind of really tuff/dangerous criiter stick with it. I have found a buffer load of 15-20 grains of cornmeal will protect the patch from blow out when heavy charges are used and has the added benefit of polishing the fouling out of the bore each time you fire.
I have found that 1:48 twists to be fussy about the loads used but thats half the fun! You mentioned minnies, i don't recall seing them in 54 over the counter. there is a good variety of maxi type projectiles out there. you may wish to met up with your local bp shooting group. Nothing is more helpfull than having a group of people with experience to get you on the right track.

cheers. Steve.
 
Back
Top Bottom