I recently came into possession of the rifle identified in the title, and would like any info any of you guys might have.
The bluing is about 75%, the wood I would rate at about 50% because there are the usual dings and handling marks and there is some old, period cracking at the wrist where it joins the action, presumably caused by recoil. I'm being conservative here.
The ramrod is present as is the oiler.
The butt has Canadian markings, was made by London Small Arms and is so marked on the wrist metal together with the date and the L E with the number 1 under that.
The only thing missing is the bead on the front volley sight.
The bore is totally mint. All numbers match.
I am unfortunately unable to post a picture because I'm computer challenged, but I would appreciate any ball-park ideas on value as at this point I'm clueless. I know how important a picture is for valuation, but there it is.
Otherwise, I would like to know if there is anywhere I might get hold of that volley sight bead as well as where I could possible get hold of some 215 grain round nose jacketed bullets. Given that there is no windage in the sights, I'm figuring I need to load to original specs to regulate the rounds to zero windage. If there is another or better way to do this, please feel free to enlighten me. I've been strictly black powder for many years so am not that up on smokeless loading anymore.
Also, could anyone tell me the right P88 bayonet I need to accommodate the ramrod?
Lastly, there is the number 29 stamped on top of the butt plate. Anybody know what outfit that would be?
Thanks a lot.
The bluing is about 75%, the wood I would rate at about 50% because there are the usual dings and handling marks and there is some old, period cracking at the wrist where it joins the action, presumably caused by recoil. I'm being conservative here.
The ramrod is present as is the oiler.
The butt has Canadian markings, was made by London Small Arms and is so marked on the wrist metal together with the date and the L E with the number 1 under that.
The only thing missing is the bead on the front volley sight.
The bore is totally mint. All numbers match.
I am unfortunately unable to post a picture because I'm computer challenged, but I would appreciate any ball-park ideas on value as at this point I'm clueless. I know how important a picture is for valuation, but there it is.
Otherwise, I would like to know if there is anywhere I might get hold of that volley sight bead as well as where I could possible get hold of some 215 grain round nose jacketed bullets. Given that there is no windage in the sights, I'm figuring I need to load to original specs to regulate the rounds to zero windage. If there is another or better way to do this, please feel free to enlighten me. I've been strictly black powder for many years so am not that up on smokeless loading anymore.
Also, could anyone tell me the right P88 bayonet I need to accommodate the ramrod?
Lastly, there is the number 29 stamped on top of the butt plate. Anybody know what outfit that would be?
Thanks a lot.





















































