making the jump

.32 balls are pretty hard to find. My daughter has a CVA .32 squirrel rifle that I built from a kit years ago, and until recently, it was seldom fired, because we couldn't find balls, and never made the effort to find a mold. I finally got a Lee mold for it (.310") a little while ago, so we are good to go. My advice would be to get on the mold thing right away, or you will be frustrated, and not able to shoot it. I got mine from Wholesale Sports, they are a Lee dealer. Cost like $35. While you're at it, start tracking down some black powder and percussion caps. Oh, and some pure lead to cast the balls with. And if you don't pour your own, start looking for a friend that casts bullets... Don't worry, it will be worth it!
Glen
 
Nice little round ball.sometime you might find a TC maxi mold on ebay for about 50.00 usd ,great little rifle for plinking , small game hunting
 
I have what I think is an older Dixie poor boy in 32 cal. I use double O buckshot and a thin patch. What surprised me was that it is fairly sensitive to powder charge. I shoot 30 grains of 3F in the gun and with lighter loads, the groups open up markedly. Finding a cleaning rod thin enough to clean the gun with was a bit of a nuisance

cheers mooncoon
 
I guess I didn't really answer your question, did I? The .32 is a fun little rifle, about like shooting a .22 magnum. I think we shot 30 grains of powder in it, likely 2f, because I don't think I've ever had 3f. Cleaning rod... make one out of a .25" brass brazing rod, should find one in any welding supply place. Thread it, and make a little cleaning jag. As far as brands to avoid, I don't know if that's much of an issue. If it's as cheap as you say, what have you got to lose?
 
Back
Top Bottom