Mark up on Mil Surplus.

OK ALL;
It would seem that my replies offend many out there....

I will therefore adopt the posture suggested by LIGHT INFANTRY "why don't you take a breath before responding or even better don't respond"

I simply will not respond, then again I will likely catch hell for doing just that....

John
 
OK ALL;
It would seem that my replies offend many out there....

I will therefore adopt the posture suggested by LIGHT INFANTRY "why don't you take a breath before responding or even better don't respond"

I simply will not respond, then again I will likely catch hell for doing just that....

John

Oh great, now he's too good to come respond :p

Seriously, Johnone does more public service for the average Canadian shooter than most of us will ever know. Have you fired any surp imported in the last decade, there's a very good chance it was him who brought it in. Last I checked 7.62x39 is still the cheapest available centrefire round.

Thank you for all you've done, visitting the #######s of the planet, to bring us ammo and guns we'd never even have a chance at otherwise. Without Marstar, I never would have even heard of Norinco.
 
OK ALL;
It would seem that my replies offend many out there....

I will therefore adopt the posture suggested by LIGHT INFANTRY "why don't you take a breath before responding or even better don't respond"

I simply will not respond, then again I will likely catch hell for doing just that....

John

I wasn't offended but you seem to be incredibly defensive and snarky sometimes, most often when it is absolutely unnecessary like with "The.22guy". Take a breathe, If you see a comment not directed towards you that pisses you off why respond? You have more experience and knowledge of these things than probably anyone in this country. Everyone wants to hear what you have to say about guns, importation, your company etc.. I sure do anyway. Ignore the little stuff that really is beneath you and avoid sounding like a ####.
 
I have a friend who looked at importing surplus ammo. There was a large amount of a certain desirable caliber of military surplus, to be had at a very good price(stupid cheap). However, there were so many unknown variables that added so much expense, that unless he had a pissload of money up front for an extremely large amount, it wasnt worth it.
He found out that a round from each LOT NUMBER had to be tested(800ish dollars per round) , and with a huge amount of lot numbers( something like a dozen) , right off the hop, add 10000 just for testing to get NRCAN approval. (for the shipment he was looking at)
Then you have to factor in the overseas shipping, then the overland shipping, plus all of the export paperwork at one end, import at the other, it added up to being not worth his while, unless he would have been able to move millions of rounds.
It really makes you appreciate the people that we do have that are willing to go through the trouble of bringing it in.
 
Mark-Up for retail ammo sales, M+ 7.62 X 39 or 20 of .458?

I must jump in here, late as usual, but mark-up is only one part of the equation.

Turn over must be taken into account.

For years, everyone knew that the mark-up on cigarettes was around 10%, not much, eh?

If you can turn over a tobacco inventory, of say $1,000, 10 times a year at 10% mark-up, you have a gross profit of $1,000 on an investment of $1,000 or a 50% return on your investment. Not bad.

So when in Ontario at least, when it became illegal for pharmacies to sell tobacco, it really hit the small ones hard. Why?

Turn over!

Taking the total $$$ investment to stock a modest dispensary today in considerable. It must be because who in need during of an emergency Rx will accept the answer of not today, at best tomorrow or next day? Not me, not you. The need is now!

Now, old time hardware stores that carried anything and everything in all sizes, lengths, threads, pitches, etc.etc. were vary similar to pharmacies. Who ever heard of a hardware putting a special sale on an overstock of for example 1/4" X 5"carriage bolts and similar stuff.? For the pharmacy who was overstocked on a slow moving Rx only products, a sale was impossible. (Yes, I know that the detail man would give for some of the stuff.)

So, when pharmacies lost the sale of tobacco (a poison even though they have the monopoly on selling other poisons, by provincial law :eek: ) the smaller, marginal pharmacists with a modest Rx trade were in trouble. Many, within a year or so found it necessary to close up and the owner/manager/sole pharmacist went to work for the big boys.

I know that this has become a pro pharmacy rant but who introduced tooth paste, shampoo, Aspirin, Kotex, Pablum and a plethora of new products to the consumer? The pharamacist -pharmacies. And as sales grew for such products, the distribution system was extended to other retailers. Thus, in turn, the pharmacy chains have introduced some food items. And it really pisses me off that such pharmacies take no lead in promoting healthful product such as diabetic jams, etc. but just carry the same fast sellers. I buy such products at Loblaw, Wally mart or even Giant Tiger, but NOT in a pharmacy.

Who would have thought that Canadian Tire would become a seller of food, at a discount price when on special, certainly not the senior Biles who founded CTC!

So we come full cercle back to ammo. How much money is invested in the stuff (cost + shipping +insurance etc) and mow many times will this investment turn over in a year?

Check the sales ads of Sears, furriers, jewellers etc. and you can bet on it that they are not losing money on the sale price. Go figure.

Has this been helpful?
 
Back
Top Bottom