Marlin 1893 - Missing Parts

CourtenayBoy

Regular
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I just acquired a marlin 1893 in 38-55, produced in 1899 if my research is correct.

I'm missing the front blade for the sight, the loading gate, the band for the fore stock, possibly a spring as the hammer does not show any signs of resistance when cocking, and maybe the firing pin.

The butt has a decent crack near the receiver but it is a beautiful old girl with I'm sure, great tales to tell.

First, what is the worth of one in that condition (original blueing but worn) and secondly what would it cost to gather up the parts to fix her and where might I find them?

Thinking it may get hung on the livingroom wall too but want to get some knowledgeable opinions first

Cheers
 
the combination of everything you mention that is missing/possibly missing along with the cracked stock will degrade the value down to a "parts gun" level, probably in the $200 range for someone else looking to combine 2 similar guns into a workable model.

there are new manuf. main springs available from Numerich but I have read "user reports" that some of them don't work reliably. Are you sure it needs a "barrel band" for a carbine (18" barrel) or the "end cap" for the rifle version (20" for "short rifle" or the more common 24")...this makes a difference as to "end value" after a re-construct as 93 carbines are very much less in abundance than the rifle versions.

The original loading gates & firing pins (to my knowledge none of the current manuf. models are interchangeable) can be sourced from some of the U.S lever-gun "wreckers" but the Marlin parts are harder to find than the Winchester offerings.
 
Back
Top Bottom