Marlin 1894 "Baby" Carbine (Range Results - Poor Bore)

NorthCoastBigBore

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've had this for a while, took it in trade knowing it had a nasty bore but it is an uncommon configuration, so I took a chance. I did restock it myself from a blank & it's been drilled & tapped (before me & professionally) for a scope. So she's a shooter, regardless. I cannot for the life of me get a picture of the bore, so you'll have to take my word for it that she is "ugly". I used electrolysis on it and could actually see rifling after that, soooo I figured I'd finally try it out. Last week I'd taken it out to shoot some steel and was surprised, since it seemed like I couldn't miss; and decided to try 'er out on paper.

Bore slugged out at 429", common for Marlins. So I tried some hardcast "boolits" sized for .44 Mag. (this is a .44-40, which often have a ~.427" bore in Winnie's and others)
Here's the ole girl in her "natural habitat":


This isn't my first rodeo with a pitted bore. I have had good results before with cast, but this one was so pitted I had low expectations. I was hoping for some large but manageable groups at 25 yards (all I can see anymore with open sites). I was hoping not to see any tumbling/keyholing.

Well, the groups speak for themselves and surprised me, pleasantly. First three shots of a rest went into a cloverleaf; high and left is all my hold; a heavier boolit; and just generally load development:


Next, I tried 10 shots offhand (and I'm not that steady this morning); the missing 3 were entirely my fault:


Plenty good enough for me! Now I just have to work out the feeding since it has some of the typical Marlin "pickiness" when it comes to feeding. I've had my share of working out Marlin feeding issues so I'll get there (and on that note, I've got a late model pre"Remlin" with ALL the complaints folks attribute to Remington... I'm of the opinion Remington got the short end of the stick and that Marlin's quality was declining first. But anyway that's another topic...).

Anyway, thought folks might be interested. As others have stated before on this forum (and also in my own experience), a pitted bore does not necessarily mean an inaccurate or unshootable gun. Slug that bore and try different loads, including boolits.

NCBB
 
Last edited:
That's interesting, thank you. When was it made?

You're obviously not willing to share your secret load so I won't ask :evil:...
 
Thanks; IIRC it's 1905 mfg date; the records are still available for this particular year, I'll have to re-read that info :)

LOL yes I don't like posting load data - it is a mild load, with a 240 gr. cast SWC (part of the feeding trouble). A 200 gr pill "should" bring my POI down significantly at 25 yards. Oh and I just noticed I say "LRP" on there, but these are 100% Large PISTOL Primers... LRP's are not at all recommended in this application (just in case someone is really paying attention out there :) )
 
Last edited:
I have a story about the same. I bought an 1894 in 38/55 that if you held a flashlight just right you will see what appers to be rifleing in the barrel. I got it cheap because it wouldnt hit the broadside of a barn with factory ammo. I slugged it and it was .381 and most ammo is loaded with .375-.378. I had a mold made for .382 and had to find some starline brass (thinner brass) so I could get that big bullet in there and still chamber the round (the round looked like a snake eating a mouse). with Varget or IMR 3031 it will keep under 1 1/2 all day at 100 yards. I put a tang sight on it and zeroed it at 200 yards so open sight is 100 yards and tang is 200 and it has taken 2 deer and a 75 yard moose so far. lots of fun
 
Excellent read gentlemen, thank you.Thk I would like to hear more about the OP's positions on Marlins (being feeding finicky) and problems with Remingtons? I find myself taking a recent interest in lever guns (I have a Savage 1899 in .303 Savage, and a pre-64, 1894 in 30-30) and am looking to learn about Marlin and Henry guns and earlier Winchester models in pistol calibers. :)
 
I have a story about the same. I bought an 1894 in 38/55 that if you held a flashlight just right you will see what appers to be rifleing in the barrel. I got it cheap because it wouldnt hit the broadside of a barn with factory ammo. I slugged it and it was .381 and most ammo is loaded with .375-.378. I had a mold made for .382 and had to find some starline brass (thinner brass) so I could get that big bullet in there and still chamber the round (the round looked like a snake eating a mouse). with Varget or IMR 3031 it will keep under 1 1/2 all day at 100 yards. I put a tang sight on it and zeroed it at 200 yards so open sight is 100 yards and tang is 200 and it has taken 2 deer and a 75 yard moose so far. lots of fun

Great work, always nice to get them out doing the job. Similar situation with the 44-40, I have to stick with thinner brass or I'll run into the same problem (or ream the case mouth).
 
Excellent read gentlemen, thank you.Thk I would like to hear more about the OP's positions on Marlins (being feeding finicky) and problems with Remingtons? I find myself taking a recent interest in lever guns (I have a Savage 1899 in .303 Savage, and a pre-64, 1894 in 30-30) and am looking to learn about Marlin and Henry guns and earlier Winchester models in pistol calibers. :)

Yes, the Marlins have a bit of a reputation for being finicky - but some time on YouTube and a couple great websites out there (Marauder Homestead (?) and the Marlin Owners Forum, as well as CAS and a few others) will get you in the right direction. General polishing; work on the extractor; and some steps to take with the lever cam to prevent the "Marlin Jam" are common steps that you can do with ease.

On my 1895 GG (JM stamped, pre-Reminton but late, 2003/2004/2005 mfg) it would double feed either on top or on the bottom of the carrier (something folks claim "can't happen" with the 1895 but is common in the later 1894's); it would never line up the shells right; it would EAT .45-70 brass at the loading gate; and the barrel is not centered (sights are crooked). I relieved tension on the loading gate; reshaped the extractor; polished all the wear surfaces inside (all very poorly machined); and finally the carrier itself was clearly not machined right (IIRC the bolt hole was drilled crooked and the "ears" were not lined up right; at any rate I literally built it up with weld and then machined/filed/polished it until now, it feeds slick as a dogs breakfast. The barrel is still crooked though....All those sorts of things I hear people blaming Remington for, but I'm pretty sure that Marlin was probably in financial hardship at the time they were selling and likely had been cutting corners by the time the sale was final. So Remington might have got a bit of a lemon, and because the problems were probably really starting to shine through after the sale they were getting the blame. My opinion only.

On this particular '94, last night I stripped it all down and cleaned the gunk out of 'er; the part on the carrier that times the lifter with the lever seemed to have been stuck with old grease and today, I just got back from an informal steel shoot and it ran like a CHAMP so I'm pretty happy at the moment, couple hiccups that I think will be resolved by going with a rounder nose (flat point but round"er") since I've only got LSWC's on hand at the moment.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom