Marlin 1899 30-30 take down

rockey256

New member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Location
Kelowna, BC
Just looking for some information. I haven't been able to find much on a gun I recently aquired, it's a marlin model 1899 30-30 takedown, serial number puts it manufactured at 1893, barrel is in good shape, 25" barrel, brass round counter for internal magazine. Overall the condition is good, rifling is good, tight fight with no sloppiness. Thanks for any information.
 
1895 actually. Second year of the Winchester '94.

OP's description would make it a Savage 1899 and production date cannot be 1893.

Marlin used tubular mags for their Models of 1881, 1889, 1893 & 1895. The Model 1893 was indeed chambered in .30-30 although 1) it would (could) not be dated 1893; and 2) the Marlin was a tubular mag with no round counter on the side.
 
It is a savage 99 made in 1909 according to serial number. I went off what the person stated that I bought it from. I just received the firearm and it is a savage 99 takedown 3030.
 
That makes sense -

Good rifles, with quite the following. I understand the takedown models are sought after, provided they are still tight.

.30-30 is one of the more desirable calibers these are chambered in, given the availability of ammo. Check the Gunsmithing forum here there is a sticky on how to prevent the common crack in the stock at the tang, if it isn't already. They aren't usually worth a ton but they make for good shooters.
 
I wish I had one. As ugly as the 99's kind of are (JMHO, lots of people think they are classic guns and beautiful) , it is the only levergun I'd own in .30-30. I have no problems with Brownings, but any Savage 99 is O.K. in my books after handling a few recently.
 
Back
Top Bottom