Marlin Guru's...model 24?

tokguy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Location
Buffalo Republic
This gun is languishing in a safe in an empty house

Marlinmod2412pumpRside.jpg

Interweb has given them a sketchy reputation. Do they deserve it?
I can get this one for the asking but it's an honor system. Got to give a fair dollar for the item. It needs a tune-up bad and has some cosmetic rust so I'm thinking 150$ Metal seems a tad proud on the tang so refinished is likely, maybe 100 $
Anyone have an opinion on this model?
Thanks
tokguy
 
Hi Tokguy I can reply with just my limited experience, I owned one of these many years ago, actually an engraved model. and a takedown as is yours from the pic. It was in excellent shape and I did shoot it, (on a goose hunt even with 2 3/4 mag shells) however found out later on, from gunshow collector friend that that according to him it should not be fired at all with anything. they were just junk in his words. I do not entirely agree with that and wish I would not of gotten rid of it, got a good price from a marlin collector. Although mine was pretty sloppy in the action even in the shape it was in. They don't sell high in the standard grades as yours is, not from ones I've seen at shows., so think your bottom value on it is maybe a little low but not much. If my memory serves me right from looking it up back then they were made 1908 to about 1920? Cheers
 
This gun is languishing in a safe in an empty house

Marlinmod2412pumpRside.jpg

Interweb has given them a sketchy reputation. Do they deserve it?
I can get this one for the asking but it's an honor system. Got to give a fair dollar for the item. It needs a tune-up bad and has some cosmetic rust so I'm thinking 150$ Metal seems a tad proud on the tang so refinished is likely, maybe 100 $
Anyone have an opinion on this model?
Thanks
tokguy


Funny, a buddy of mine dropped by the house today and he had found an old take-down shotgun, along with the bottom half of a leather take-down case and 2 pcs of what looks like an antique 3 or 4 pc wooden cleaning rod - all up in the attic of a house he bought last year as a rental property. He's not a firearms enthusiast so he asked me if I wanted it - I said I'd be happy to try and find some more info for him and even sell it for him if he wanted. Was just on the Marlin collectors site and they pegged his as a Model 1898 from the turn of the century. They reiterated for the most part on some of their threads that these shotguns may not be the safest to be shooting as catastrophic failures weren't super rare occurrences.
 
I've read somewhere ( lost now...) that if the the reasoning behind the Model 24's danger is valid; then the Win 97 is just as dangerous in a similar way ( make sense?).
But the John Browning is god belief cannot allow that.
Not prejudiced, I've a few JB designs in the safe at this moment.
That 24 would make a good partner to my 97 is what I'm thinking.
 
Back
Top Bottom