Just picked up a Marlin 1881 in 45/70 gov't. I went to this fellows place to look at some longbranch enfields and as things were being pulled out of the safe my eye caught it. I checked out the gun for a while not knowing much about it, I figured there was some value to it. I had no idea how old it was and judging by the shape I figured it out to be around the mid-1900's. I know you can have old guns in excellent condition but when it comes to old guns there are a lot more in poor condition than in real good condition. Needless to say I walked out with the 1881 and a 1943 Longbranch Enfield. When I got home I started doing some research and was pleasantly surprised to find out how old it was (1887). Serial # is 17###. There is lots of bluing left all over, no pitting at all even light pitting. The barrel has a light patina but lots of bluing in protected areas. It has a 28" octagon barrel and the action is as tight as the day it left the factory. A interesting feature is the receiver is stamped as well as the butt stock it reads "Mt.H.M.Co", both sides of the receiver are stamped and only one side of the butt....one can see it was professionally done and not in someones basement. I'm very interested in the history of this firearm.....it spent most or all of it's life in the Yukon. The only downside is the stock was refinished and someone carved there initials in it. Also a small crack in the butt just above the butt plate. I do shoot 45/70 already and if I use the same load data in the books for 1886 Winchesters should I be fine?, I'm definitely going to shoot this beautiful piece but at the same time don't want to hurt it.....I will not run it on blackpowder. Just another question.....on the bottom side of the receiver just in front of the trigger and behind where cocking lever attaches to gun, there is a hole....is a screw missing or what is that for???
Thanks guys for your time to read my post,your thoughts or info would be appreciated. Would love to post some pictures but my computer skills are not great at all but we will see.
Thanks guys for your time to read my post,your thoughts or info would be appreciated. Would love to post some pictures but my computer skills are not great at all but we will see.


















































