Marlin model 1881

bros

Regular
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Hi, just acquired a Model 1881 in 45-70 gov't. The metal is in amazing shape but unfortunately the stock has been refinished.....oh well I got it for half a song so really can't complain. It has a 28" octagon barrel, full mag and no tang sites. The question is the receiver is stamped both sides and the stock as well it reads Mt.H.M.Co, any of you Marlin experts help me to try and figure this one out. I believe this rifle sent most of it's life in the Yukon and was probably here during the Gold Rush in the late 1800's. regards.
 
Hi, just acquired a Model 1881 in 45-70 gov't. The metal is in amazing shape but unfortunately the stock has been refinished.....oh well I got it for half a song so really can't complain. It has a 28" octagon barrel, full mag and no tang sites. The question is the receiver is stamped both sides and the stock as well it reads Mt.H.M.Co, any of you Marlin experts help me to try and figure this one out. I believe this rifle sent most of it's life in the Yukon and was probably here during the Gold Rush in the late 1800's. regards.

Not a Marlin stamp - I'm guessing it was owned by a company and that was their abbreviation - "Mt" usually stands for Mountain and "Co." for "company"; possibly Mount H(###) Mining Company - or something along those lines. Some time in the archives may assist. Pure speculation but checking mining records (shot in the dark that "M" starts for mining of course) might be a start - in BC we have a ton of that historical information regarding mining activities now available online, if you know how to search for it. In my searching mining records for my own reasons, I found plenty of references to companies, including their abbreviations. I don't know about the Yukon.

Good luck
 
Last edited:
I'd bet the "H' is for Helen. Mount Helen is in Wyoming. Not the same as Mount St. Helen, in Washington. Doesn't explode without warning. Just a WHAG though.
 
Hi, just acquired a Model 1881 in 45-70 gov't. The metal is in amazing shape but unfortunately the stock has been refinished.....oh well I got it for half a song so really can't complain. It has a 28" octagon barrel, full mag and no tang sites. The question is the receiver is stamped both sides and the stock as well it reads Mt.H.M.Co, any of you Marlin experts help me to try and figure this one out. I believe this rifle sent most of it's life in the Yukon and was probably here during the Gold Rush in the late 1800's. regards.

Nice find. Wish I could help you with the Mt.H.M.Co., but NorthCoastBigBore's suggestion sounds plausible. Can you show us some pictures of this rifle --- 1881s are pretty thin-on-the-ground.
 
Back
Top Bottom