While you are on the site, in your browser find and click "Add to Home Screen" A CGN beaver app icon will then be created to your phone that is directly link to the site.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Does anyone know offhand what the strength of the original square bolt 1895 is? It seems like there is load data for trapdoors and for new 1895s, but I'd think the old ones would be somewhere in between the two or?
Who lists 1886 data? The info I find is vague as to what they consider a modern lever action. I'd like to find a specification as to what actual pressure the action was safe for so I could stay below it.
I wouldn't go much beyond factory load pressures in an original 95. It is a 100 year old rifle after all. If you want to load hot, get a new Marlin or better yet a Ruger no. 1.
Yeah, I think I'll load to the same levels as I do for my 38-55, 28,000 max. Though I suppose that may be more stress due to the larger cartridge base, more thrust on the bolt and all that.
I don't want to hotrod, I'm just looking to utilize the potential of the gun without exceeding its parameters. Whew, that was a mouthful!
Yeah, I think I'll load to the same levels as I do for my 38-55, 28,000 max. Though I suppose that may be more stress due to the larger cartridge base, more thrust on the bolt and all that.
I'd keep it below that even....most loads that push 28,000 psi are listed for the "Model 95" meaning the newer round bolts.
Sure some might load the square bolts to that but I'd personnally stick to Trapdoor rated loads (most come in well below 18,000) if you want faster velocities from lower pressure loads shoot Cast bullets
Having a fair number of "the old ones", my philosophy is to handload similar loads that were available at the time the rifle was manufactured by the factory. It gives me a good idea of what earlier folk got in terms of performance as well as indulging my nostalgia for history. After all, one doesn't need a modern high powered rifle to harvest some venison for the table.
Hodgdon's online reloading data shows 28,000 CUP for Trapdoors, and I believe that is SAAMI's spec too.
I"ll have to see how it shoots with light loads, and go from there. I'd like to shoot black powder loads for fun, but I've been told this rifle shoots way low with black powder velocities.