martini .22 conversions

rgbai

Regular
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Location
b.c. interior
I picked up a martini .22 barrel at the Kamloops gun show on the weekend I'm wondering if anyone here has ever
done a conversion i know i will need a .22 extractor but i was wondering if i need to find a offset .22 bolt or are
the original ones usually reworked.
 
You mean for a full size that was originally chambered in the old .455/450 rounds? Or a barrel from one of the smaller Martini action guns such as the BSA?

For the full size center fire receiver you'll need a whole new breech block. Or the original will need a lot of reworking to convert the firing pin to run on the rim instead of the center.
 
To convert Large MH to 22 the horns on the lever were shortened so that the front of the block was lower allowing the fp to strike the rim of the 22 ctg.
 
I am no expert and this is just from observation as I have one of each .the breech block on the 577-450 and 303 come up to the top of the receiver and the bonehill conversion the breech block does not come up all the way to the top .I would guess the two lugs on the lever are trimmed a bit to lower the breech block and striker hits on the bottom of the case .I did switch the breech block from the 303 into the 22 and it also fired and the breech block also did not come up all the way .

so in my opinion the breech block is not modified only the lever lugs that go into the block .I did wonder the same till I had the 2 side by side and it becomes obvious they lowered the block
 
the off set firing pin belongs to the 303 ,whom ever bushed the old firing pin down in size didn't center it properly .I was going to correct it but it does fire the 303 ,just off center and far enough away from the side of the prime pocket not to damage it .The dark block belongs to the rimfire and all they done to the firing pin is to flatten the sides .I should have mentioned this earlier


that barrel looks to be the same as mine ,including the liner .should be an easy conversion .On my extractor they attached a flat bar between the 577 uprights and cut in the 22 cal half moon .If you need a pic let me know
 
Last edited:
the off set firing pin belongs to the 303 ,whom ever bushed the old firing pin down in size didn't center it properly .I was going to correct it but it does fire the 303 ,just off center and far enough away from the side of the prime pocket not to damage it .The dark block belongs to the rimfire and all they done to the firing pin is to flatten the sides .I should have mentioned this earlier


that barrel looks to be the same as mine ,including the liner .should be an easy conversion .On my extractor they attached a flat bar between the 577 uprights and cut in the 22 cal half moon .If you need a pic let me know

Thanks I would like to see a picture
 
It's a Parkerifled barrel, which by all accounts were even better shooters than the original BSA Martini barrels, which is saying something.

I doubt there will be enough meat around that liner to do much larger than maybe a Hornet in it, and I would likely not bother at that, if the bore is good enough to be worth putting the effort in.

Yours, though, so you can do what you want and I won't judge. Much. :)

Cheers
Trev
 
My little 22 is one of my favourites. Also a big hit with my nieces and nephews.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...-rounds-through-my-1885-Martini-carbine-today

After working on this one for a while, I noticed that it appears to have been decommissioned by a saw cut just in front of the nocks form. Looks like somebody welded up the cut, sleeved the barrel to .22 and had it reproofed. All the markings have been scrubbed with the exception of a few Enfield inspector view marks and the '85 date mark on the underside of the barrel. The extractor looks to be a home made modification and easy to do.

My block has been bushed and re-drilled offset. The striker has the pin ground off to the face and a new one set off center.

Another way you might consider to go would be to ream the chamber out to .22 Hornet, which is centerfire and reloadable. No modifications to the block or lever required. The extractor is straight forward too.

Most of my shooting here at home is plinking and critter control. I like the .22rf and love the economy of shooting.

Too many projects up in the air right now. I also have a .22 Sht.LE reamed out for .222 Remington. Now that will be an interesting gopher gun!

Problem with a .222 Rem in a Martini is getting the extractor to work with the rimless cartride. It can be done, but by some trick with spring loaded claws right in the extractor arm.
 
Last edited:
It's a Parkerifled barrel, which by all accounts were even better shooters than the original BSA Martini barrels, which is saying something....

That being said, I have a full-size Martini that underwent a Parker conversion to .22 Hornet in the 1930's (It's listed in an early Parker catalogue) and darned if I can get it to shoot accurately, even with .223 bullets. Apparently the Hornet can be a persnickety cartridge to load for. I got a Sinclair neck trimmer and it didn't seem to make a lot of difference. However I haven't worked on it for some time so it's on my "to do before I die" list. At the moment I'm getting back to the .310 Cadet that has been languishing in my gun room for too long. I got a CBE mould for it so some time ago so need to get some casting supplies. Come to think of it, I have an old .303 Martini as well. The barrel was shot out and I got Epps to out an SMLE III barrel on it a few years ago...

Love the Martini action I wish one of the Italian factories would start making repros.

:) Stuart
 
....Love the Martini action I wish one of the Italian factories would start making repros.

:) Stuart

So do I.

I've noticed that other than Pedersoli they all make guns that qualify for shooting in cowboy action. And even most of Pedersoli's guns fit into either the SASS rules or other black powder event rules. Sadly the Martini and other striker fired actions don't seem to fit into many of these rule sets. And it just seems like there's not enough of a market among the rest to justify the production of them when there's still "enough" old actions.

Frankly though a nicely remade and suitably tarted up Martini action sporting rifle could easily hold it's own with something like a Ruger No1. Or perhaps the difficulty with clearing a scope due to the top loading would hurt it. Long eye relief or scout scope to get around this?

Anyway back to the barrel in the action. By the looks of the pictures in Pmatuk's post it seems as if the barrel will set back a few thou and hold the block slightly low to line the pin up with the rim. So a modified pin and new extractor will be what you need.

That would change if you want to make it a center fire. You'll likely need to slightly bob the end of the barrel that same few thou shorter while you're also chambering it so the breech block can rise up and line the pin up with the primer.

Another factor might be the twist rate. And then there's the condition of the bore. Seems like a lot of the really fast small bore bullets tend to wear out the bore over only a few thousand rounds. If it's already a little rough due to age and lack of cleaning if it used the old corrosive primer ammo from back in the day this might happen even faster.

Not that you shouldn't go ahead if the ducks all line up. Just that you should confirm all this before tooling hits metal. It would be a shame to ruin a barrel like this if it turns out that the conversion will have major issues.
 
Love the Martini action I wish one of the Italian factories would start making repros.

:) Stuart

I have a thread about wanting to produce new made martini henry action and it will happen down the road right no im working on the start up of a firearms company but right now im working on a prototype pistol caliber carbine that will make me my money that I could start up production. I looked into it and was thinking maybe IMA had receivers from guns they parted out they said they had nothing to sell at the moment
 
...Anyway back to the barrel in the action. By the looks of the pictures in Pmatuk's post it seems as if the barrel will set back a few thou and hold the block slightly low to line the pin up with the rim....

Slightly a propos of the block height question, there was an armourer's trick to fine-tuning the height of the block by changing one aspect of the "horns" at the end of the lever. I think it's in Skennerton's book on the 450 & 303 Martini Henry. I think the max. adjustment is about 1/10" or something. I can look it up if anyone needs to know.

As to small market share for new Martinis, this is most likely the reason. However, as you may know, Webley is trying to get backing for making new Mk VI revolvers.

Antiqueguy... that's good news about possible new-production, even if it may take a couple of years or more to get off the ground. We can start saving up now...

:) Stuart
 
Slightly a propos of the block height question, there was an armourer's trick to fine-tuning the height of the block by changing one aspect of the "horns" at the end of the lever. I think it's in Skennerton's book on the 450 & 303 Martini Henry. I think the max. adjustment is about 1/10" or something. I can look it up if anyone needs to know.

As to small market share for new Martinis, this is most likely the reason. However, as you may know, Webley is trying to get backing for making new Mk VI revolvers.

Antiqueguy... that's good news about possible new-production, even if it may take a couple of years or more to get off the ground. We can start saving up now...

:) Stuart

yes nothing is instant but I was hoping IMA had a couple dozen guns they parted out and they would sell the receivers that way I could make some sporters for now. and id get my RPAL in a hurry(I got to anyway) if webely started making new revolvers
 
there is no doubt that someone has made some new actions at some time in the past how many who knows its one of the strongest actions around and they make good target rifle and hunting rifles(they can be chambered in just about any round that will make the turn rimmed or rimless). me and a buddy down south were talking about how quiet one would be in a cartridge like .300 blackout with a suppressor
 
Back
Top Bottom