martini .22 conversions

Of course, the "horns" on the lever. Those would need to be very slightly shortened to allow the lever to lock over center like it needs to be when the breech block is positioned correctly.

Sort of like evening up the legs of a table, eh? :d
 
I think that the last new commercial Martinis were the Greener GP shotguns. Navy Arms acquired Greener; sold some Greener harpoon guns with Martini actions. I expect that the actions they were selling were from the Greener purchase.
 
I think that the last new commercial Martinis were the Greener GP shotguns. Navy Arms acquired Greener; sold some Greener harpoon guns with Martini actions. I expect that the actions they were selling were from the Greener purchase.

most likely there was someone in the states recently converting Greener's into sporting rifles
 
Of course, the "horns" on the lever. Those would need to be very slightly shortened to allow the lever to lock over center like it needs to be when the breech block is positioned correctly.

Sort of like evening up the legs of a table, eh? :d

Exactly, but hopefully with better results! According to Skennerton, "an amount not exceeding .01" can be taken off the bearing surface of the lever horns... or, if the firing pin is striking low, "the lever horns may be drawn out at D" [the neck of the horns. below the top], presumably by the careful application of a ball-peen hammer or punch. A bottle of Dykem or tube of Prussian Blue would be in order, and lots of trial and (hopefully not much) error.

:)
 
I think that the last new commercial Martinis were the Greener GP shotguns. Navy Arms acquired Greener; sold some Greener harpoon guns with Martini actions. I expect that the actions they were selling were from the Greener purchase.

I shot one of the martini harpoon guns about 20 years ago. This was a small one with a 38 blank for power. Kicked like a mule even with light loads. A friend was asked to convert it for collecting DNA samples from killer whales but it was quite a bit too powerful. At least some of the guns now used use a muzzle loading rifle barrel to contain a light dart and a 22 blank or a hilti shell for power in an adjustable separate chamber

cheers mooncoon
 
Didn't one of the Greeners appear in "Jaws"?
The Greener GP 12 bore shotguns are considered to be fine shotguns. I remember when they were available; a lot more expensive than most any other single shot shotguns at the time, except for serious trap guns.
There were also the Greener Police Guns sold off surplus not all that long ago. I rebarrelled one of these to use standard 12 gauge shells, rather than the odd 14 gauge bottlenecked round.
Last whaling guns I had anything to do with were the ones being used in the Eastern Arctic for bowhead hunting. They aren't harpoon guns, though. They fire explosive grenades to kill the whales. Hand thrown harpoons used to attach lines and floats to the whales. Saw one of the same make in Skagway AK last summer.
 
yes there was a greener harpoon gun in Jaws.

I have one of those greener police shotguns in 12/14 gauge. I just havn't decided on what I want to convert it to yet.

I still think that there would be a market for new mini martini actions.
 
a new cadet action would be nice as for new actions id love to have someone else machine them up and I just assemble them but there is only one machine shop here in Windsor that I know of with a license to do so and they are contracting for Colt Canada last I heard. this is the reason for now that im choosing my own design that has machined parts that can freely be machined by anyone
 
a new cadet action would be nice as for new actions id love to have someone else machine them up and I just assemble them but there is only one machine shop here in Windsor that I know of with a license to do so and they are contracting for Colt Canada last I heard. this is the reason for now that im choosing my own design that has machined parts that can freely be machined by anyone

Well now, how busy can that shop be? The RCMP are still dragging their heels about more C8 carbines, there's still no replacement for the venerable Lee-Enfield for the Cdn. Rangers and the proposed replacement for the Browning Hi-power is barely off the table. Surely they'd like something to keep 'em occupied until all the bureaucrats get their ducks in a row?

I bet in a few years you'll probably be able to 3D print them. :)
 
Well now, how busy can that shop be? The RCMP are still dragging their heels about more C8 carbines, there's still no replacement for the venerable Lee-Enfield for the Cdn. Rangers and the proposed replacement for the Browning Hi-power is barely off the table. Surely they'd like something to keep 'em occupied until all the bureaucrats get their ducks in a row?

I bet in a few years you'll probably be able to 3D print them. :)

its not that big of a shop only a few employees as for 3d printing I will not trust my life on it all the breech pressure on a martini rifle is at the knuckle it will not take much for a cracked receiver. even the old receivers can stand up to a lot of abuse putting it in something like 4140 steel will make it that much better not something 3d printing could do
 
I have one of those greener police shotguns in 12/14 gauge. I just havn't decided on what I want to convert it to yet.

If you want to be different you can form Winchester AA shells into 14 guage police shells. I made a swage on the lathe, put it in boiling water and press it over the AA shells with a press. Most other shells will crumple using this method

mooncoon
 
That being said, I have a full-size Martini that underwent a Parker conversion to .22 Hornet in the 1930's (It's listed in an early Parker catalogue) and darned if I can get it to shoot accurately, even with .223 bullets. Apparently the Hornet can be a persnickety cartridge to load for.

Checked the twist rate? It may be that the liner has a slower twist than will stabilize the bullets you are/were trying. Depends too, sometimes, whether you were loading hot or slower loads. But yeah, small case, big headaches, sometimes. :)

225107 is supposed to be the Hornet bullet to try. 225439, as well. I managed to buy one of the dual cavity NOE 225107 molds when there was a group buy going on castboolits, as well as finding a single cavity Lyman mold. Supposedly reacts favorable to a hollow point conversion too. Gonna need to have a back-up copy of the single cavity before I will put one to the knife to convert it though.

Cheers
Trev
 
Back
Top Bottom