Martini 50- 2 1/2

Monk

Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
Well in a moment of insanity or maybe not I bought this old girl. I bought it to shoot not hang on a wall.
102_2425.jpg

102_2426.jpg

102_2427.jpg

102_2429.jpg

The stamp on top of the barrel is a cross
 
Now I always wanted one of these and always wanted a Sharps 50-90. But I'm counting on the Martini experts out there to give me any advice you can
 
To me it looks like a Greener martini that started as a shotgun and was rebarrled with a 50 cal barrel and chamber to the 2 1/2 straight Sharps case
 
If it's chambered for the 50/90 Sharps, like it says, you have a wonderful rifle in a fantastic caliber, my favorite! You will not be happy with that chambering unless you use real black powder as the case is so big. Depending on the throating and bullet you use, it can take from 95 to 110grs. to fill it. My most accurate bullet to date is a 540 gr. LBT bullet cast 30-1 and 105grs. of Swiss 1 1/2FG, for me.....I have about 10 different designs of bullets to play with and I will continue to shoot my Sharps '74 in the spring. I've fired thousands of rounds through mine and it's 12 lbs. keeps recoil down to where it's acceptable(not for the sqeemish). Mine has taken Deer, Buffalo, and Moose, animals hit with yesterdays "poison slinger" get sick and die instantly....contact me if you need any info....Ben
 
The last owner said It was a 50-90 Martini Greener. I doubt if it was made by Greener but it doesn't matter. I expect it started life as a shotgun. The brass I got with it says BELL 50-sharps-3 1/4 the cases are 2 1/2 inches long. The reloading dies say 50 2.5 Sharps. I have two bullet moulds and a sizing die. People who saw him shoot say it was accurate.
 
I got to shoot a Pedersoly made Sharps 50-90 last Spring and fell in love with the calibre, I got to shoot 10 or 11 rounds one after another, I was hooked. Ya gotta love a gun that throws that much lead each time :)
 
With that big paddle safety on the right side it does look a lot like a Greener shotgun conversion. But it's missing the takedown screw on the left side. Although that may have been replaced by a fixed bolt to remove the easily replaced barrel option since it's now a rifle.
 
I got to shoot a Pedersoly made Sharps 50-90 last Spring and fell in love with the calibre, I got to shoot 10 or 11 rounds one after another, I was hooked. Ya gotta love a gun that throws that much lead each time :)

Yes, more people on here should know about the "big .50" or "Poison slinger", and as a hunting caliber, the word "finale" comes to mind. Being a Buffalo hunter, Billy Dixon used it to knock the Indian off the horse at 1500+ yds. to end the Battle of Adobe Walls. For me 200yds. is my limit, but I have ordered a new tang sight from MVA and will try some longer shots with the 685gr. slug. The buckhorn barrel sights are not clear for my aging eyes, but the Badger barrelled C. Sharps '74 won't let me down. For the original poster, I don't know how much travel that rear peep will give you but you need about 2" for 500 yds.
 
Very nice gun. Much cleaner overall than my Greener 577 x 2 1/2. I would agree that it's most likely a shotgun action and therefore not an antique as far as the CFC is concerned but a nice gun either way.
 
Very nice rifle Monk. I think I'd like a big fifty when I grow up.:D I'm just learning the ropes myself now with the big fifty's little brother - an antique 50-70 roller.

So from my minimal experience and testing ( I'm just a babe on this topic really) I would say check the bore twist with a tight patch. If it's too slow - like 42" or 48" or slower - some of the heavy weights others are using may (???) not stabilize - especially way out there.

Also your groove diameter is something you should know as bullets need to be at groove diameter or a little over. Your molds and especially your sizer die should give you a clue about your rifle. You really can't expect an undersize bullet to shoot accurately unless it's a hollow base design for that purpose. I tried and it didn't work for me anyway (a 512" in a 515" bore).

I'm stating the obvoius here I know. But I have been shooting with my 50-70 recently and have rediscovered the practical importance of twist/bullet weight and bullet/groove diameter to accuracy.

Just curious - what molds and sizing die diameter did you get with the rifle?

Good shooting!

Regards,
 
Great rifle , it's too bad the BPCR eople don't allow them in their silhouette competitions, r I would still have boithe my Ruger and my Martini.:confused:
50/90,21/2" is a great honkin' cartridge , for sure!!
I have a 50/140 for a bit on a Roller, and it sure knocked the stuffing outta ya under full steam!!:eek:
Cat
 
I got a RCBS .512 sizing die, a RCBS flat nose .50 515 grain and a Lyman 392? These are what the last owner used with this rifle. I think a tang sight is in the works then If I can hit the gong reliably I plan on getting a muly with it for starters.
 
Hi, and new to here!
I have a Martini similar to this fine looking rifle, except it is in 45-70.
The rifle has a 26" 1" octagon barrel, with Parker Hale sights.
I made the rifle in the early 70's with the action is a WWW Greener of Birmingham England, and the barrel from Navy Arms.
Extremely accurate rifle!
Best regards
Old Ford47
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom