Martini Enfield Striker/Breech Block

Drachenblut

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
91   0   1
Location
Smithers, B.C.
Hello All,

I was wondering if someone could show me some pictures of thier Martini-Enfield Breech Block with the striker installed in it, so I could see the length of thier firing pin protruding from the blockface. I have measured my protrudes at 0.038" and if someone could measure thiers, I would appreciate it. I have been told most people's are 0.060 to 0.090

Thanks for the help,

Drachenblut
 
Firing pin protrusion....

Measuring this would require disassembly one of my rifles. Have you looked at <www.martinihenry.com>? I believe this is the site which has a lot of relevant info. Good luck. Dave
 
so I could see the length of thier firing pin protruding from the blockface. I have measured my protrudes at 0.038" and if someone could measure thiers, I would appreciate it. I have been told most people's are 0.060 to 0.090

The real issue is does it fire the shells. I believe it is traditional for firing pins in general to protrude around .065 - .070".

cheers mooncoon
 
Hi. Yes, your right, but mine is much shorter, and last I shot it and it doesn't fire, went click. I don't think the primer was hit hard enough, it was also hit off center. I know headspacing isn't an issue.

Suggestions and pictures are again, welcome
 
Had a similar issue with a Martini I once owned. I disassembled the action (as much from curiosity as to check that all was in order) and upon examining the firing pin noticed that it looked as if it had a crack in it.

When I hitched my fingernail in this "crack" the tip of the pin broke off! How it came to be so brittle I've never been able to learn, but I solved the problem easily enough.... bought a new firing pin and swapped out the old. Only required minor fitting.

Not saying it's the cause of your trouble... just relating my experience, for what it's worth.

DJ
 
DJ, It is possible this happened as well as mine, however I would prefer to keep the firing pin original as it is the original pin in the block (it is even marked .303 over Broad Arrow on the bottom!) I will be seeing about filing it down a bit today, as the pin protrudes 0.038 and I am planning on seeing if I can file it's base/circumference down a little to make it come out to 0.055 or so. This should prove a more positive ignition. My only worry is if it is that long and hits the primer when the round is fired, if it will not come back on the pin and puncture it straight through the primer socket, I understand that can be deadly.

Is this true?
 
If you're very sure of yourself you can rig up something to cut the shoulder down on the pin to allow it more forward travel. Personally I'd see about getting another pin and just having the old one in a baggy with the gun.

On the other hand, if you can figure out a way to work the pin evenly and not scar it all up trying to modify it (some sort of sandpaper/wood block polisher with a hole in the middle for the pin to go through comes to mind) you could work it down a little at a time until it'd just right. Like always, take off a bit, try, repeat. Going too far is what you want to avoid, obviously.
 
Back
Top Bottom