Martini Henry wont eject cases.

rocklin

Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Martini MkII short lever. I acquired some reformed 24 gauge brass shotshell hulls and they chamber fine but...

The breach block will not drop down far enough to eject the cases and you have to clear the breach with the cleaning rod (after 5-6 whacks).

I estimate that the breach block is blocking the cases from ejecting by about half a millimetre. anyone ever experience this before?.
 
Dissassemble and clean! Look for damaged/bent/worn out part's.
When I took mine down all the part's went into a gasoline soak for a week then wire wheeled to clean them completely
 
Yes, I have experienced a similar problem with a project or two. Good advise posted above to clean it first. If there is crap under the extractor it will behave as you describe.

To help diagnose the problem, assemble without the extractor and see if the block travel is far enough pushing on the lever to its limit of travel and clears that half millimeter as you describe.
Try it without the tumbler installed.

You don't mention if this an old original or a reworked/restored example. Parts gun built?

I have the luxury of having a few examples of rifles with good working actions. Swapping out one part at a time can often identify a rouge part.

The parts were manufactured to be interchangeable, but sometimes need to be hand fitted and adjusted just a wee bit.
There were a number of variations on the extractors and breech blocks. Some work better with others.

Take a look at how the striker is assembled in the breech block, it should sit with the slot for the tumbler wide side outwards. Check for a broken striker spring. Is the spring original or aftermarket?
 
Last edited:
I acquired some reformed 24 gauge brass shotshell hulls and they chamber fine but...

24 gauge brass or 24 gauge plastic shotgun hull converted to 577 x 450??

There are not many all up matching Martini Henry MK II's in Canada.

Most of the ones I have seen spent their life touring the Middle East.

Once taken apart, they where a wealth of everything, from mixed British parts to hand filed Khyber parts.

It took me a long time to find a decent MKII.

Mine came from the Australian Police stores.

If your on Facebook, there is a Martini Henry Group;

ht tps://www.facebook.com/groups/360259304071469/
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone thanks for the replies. I will take down and clean the rifle today and see if that is the issue. The cartridge cases I have are all brass. They are the Magtec CBC 24 gauge brass hulls converted to .577/.450.

Edit: This rifle is marked SX so it has the improved extractor in it.

Here are some pictures. It came from IMA in the states, everything matches except for the front band that has the bayonet lug on it.

This rifle is so long its hard to get decent pictures!.
2uy5bao.jpg


29mpysi.jpg


eipmp4.jpg
 
Last edited:
Dam!!!

Thats the best I have seen from IMA of a MKII.

I'm guessing it was a "Cleaned & Complete", if it was, they usually check them over good, but,,,

As others have said, strip her down and check everything as you go along.

If your on Facebook, join that group and post a few pics, of the gun, all the parts or even a video of what is wrong, they will take care of you.

There are collectors and shooters on there from all over the world.
 
If "5-6 whacks" are required, that implies a stuck case.
Either the chamber is very dirty or you likely have some chamber problems.
The block will not lower unless the extractor can move, and a stuck case ... well, you know....
 
Figured it out with help from the guys on that Martini facebook page. Turns out I have a Mk IV extractor in a Mk II action and the breach block will not drop down far enough for the case to eject due to the different profile of the Mk IV extractor.
 
Haha, I just had a similar but reversed problem with a Mk.IV block not co-operating with a Mk.I action and extractor.

I found an untouched Mk.I block on epay, shipped to me from Romania. Mk.I block with a Mk.I extractor, it now works perfect.

After many years of private ownership, nobody knows what parts well intentioned owners have replaced in the past to keep these rifles working.
 
Back
Top Bottom