I have been trying to clean up projects over the last while. This post is of a original matchlock that I picked up about 4 to 5 years ago. Just a barrel plus the serpent and trigger and a small portion of the stock.
It turned out to be a lot more work than I expected; I used the stock of another similar gun for a pattern but what was challenging was that the breach end of the barrel was not a uniform taper but rather the top of the barrel was more or less straight or level in the horizontal plane while the bottom of the barrel angled down quite sharply. The "trigger" was unusual as well in that it extended much farther behind the barrel and serpent than other similar and less ornate matchlocks that I have seen. The barrel was fairly deeply pitted and I drilled it out (gun is a smoothbore)l about .030" larger to about 53 caliber but unfortunately the last 10 or 12" of the breach is still deeply pitted. I have put the gun on the back burner for a few days and am now leaning towards sleeving the breach end of the barrel to eliminate the deep pitting. The breach end of the barrel was closed by forge welding and additionally is not very thick fore and aft. For that reason, I intend to drill it out and install a threaded breach plug that will butt up against the barrel liner
Below are some photos of the gun. In the past I have been calling it Indian, meaning the continent of India which includes Pakistan. After looking on the web at examples of Indian writing and comparing that of Turkish letters, I am coming to think the silver writing on the barrel is from a Muslim country although I am not sure how writing characters differ between say Turkey, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Also keeping in mind that Pakistan is muslim, I don't know to what extent their writing characters differ from Indian writing
cheers mooncoon




It turned out to be a lot more work than I expected; I used the stock of another similar gun for a pattern but what was challenging was that the breach end of the barrel was not a uniform taper but rather the top of the barrel was more or less straight or level in the horizontal plane while the bottom of the barrel angled down quite sharply. The "trigger" was unusual as well in that it extended much farther behind the barrel and serpent than other similar and less ornate matchlocks that I have seen. The barrel was fairly deeply pitted and I drilled it out (gun is a smoothbore)l about .030" larger to about 53 caliber but unfortunately the last 10 or 12" of the breach is still deeply pitted. I have put the gun on the back burner for a few days and am now leaning towards sleeving the breach end of the barrel to eliminate the deep pitting. The breach end of the barrel was closed by forge welding and additionally is not very thick fore and aft. For that reason, I intend to drill it out and install a threaded breach plug that will butt up against the barrel liner
Below are some photos of the gun. In the past I have been calling it Indian, meaning the continent of India which includes Pakistan. After looking on the web at examples of Indian writing and comparing that of Turkish letters, I am coming to think the silver writing on the barrel is from a Muslim country although I am not sure how writing characters differ between say Turkey, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. Also keeping in mind that Pakistan is muslim, I don't know to what extent their writing characters differ from Indian writing
cheers mooncoon






















































