Mauser 1871 Cavalry Carbine (VALUE ?)

Fred24

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Location
CANADA
Hi guys ! I recently got my hand on a 1871 cavalry carbine that had been tastefully sporterized... I would like to know the value of it in the condition as I'm really unfamiliar with these guns. The bore is dirty as hell but I guess it should clean up fine. It's also double dated,


Thanks !















 
I paid 300 for my matching bolt and receiver 71/84.

That though where it is not a repeter its an antique. They seem to go for quite a bit more then the 71/84's. You dont need a license for it and you can take it in the woods year round in placed like NS where you are only alowed a shotgun from April to Sept.

I would glady pay 300 for that, if the bolt matches the receiver. Im also setup to relaod that and cast bullets for it. People who arnt, may not want it so bad.

That thing is so small, id love to shoot it. Both mine are the full 31" barrels.
 
Ok well i must like these rifles more then most, and NS must have less of them then else where in canada. They cost a lot around here even as sporters and they dont show up often. Id love to come across one of these for the prices you guys listed. I cant even find cooey's for that price. I think its a nice rifle and as long as head space is ok id shoot it every range trip. 43 mauser is an awesome round. I guess i was just thinking local prices, not CGN prices and i was letting my love for the round get the better of me.
 
The problem with a "dirty bore" in some of these old guns is that what looks like dirt ends up being pitting when you clean them. Value???? I was given one in the exact condition that you describe. I would pay max $300 for one with a good bore.
 
My local hock shop has a '71 Karabiner for $650. It is a beautiful looking rifle, however, someone "refinished" it with a glossy wood finish, blued the bolt, etc. It is an original equipment rifle with all matching number for the parts I have seen on it, but the metal and wood are refinished with materials and techniques not found on the originals. I love the look of the full stocked carbines, but this one just looks wrong. Definitely not worth the asking price.

Mine started as a full Karabiner, but someone sporterized it before I laid eyes on it. All I did to it was clean it up, keeping the original finishes and patinas it has aquired over almost a century and a half.
 
Back
Top Bottom