Mauser 98 picatinny rail

LPwolf

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for any advice on where to get a picatinny rail for my mauser 98 action. Right now I currently have two piece weaver bases mounted on it. But the problem is that I have no room for eye relief adjustment on my scope. I was also wanting to upgrade the scope to something more modern but the upgraded scope i have won't fit because the rings are to far apart.
I'd like to get a one piece rail so that I have more room for adjustment.
Any advice would be great. I can get if needed.
 
Thanks for the relpy.
I was wondering how well the two front holes would line up with the rear mount holes. I had to lap the rings a fair bit to mount my current set up on this rifle. Not sure if that was because of weaver mounts or the rings them selves.

Where would I find offset rings to gain the adjustment I'm looking for. I've looked online and all I've found so far is no name rings on Amazon.
 
the only rings that are extension rings that fit the weaver are weaver extn rings should be able to buy them at any retail outlet
as for a rail forget it to many variables
depending on your gun this is the combination
weaver number 45 or 55 rear
front no 46 or 20 front to fit with your numbered rear
leupold bases and rings 120-160$ for the rings and bases and again depending on which number from the weaver bases
 
It's an uphill battle for bases and rings and scope tube lengths on a Mauser 98 as it was originally not designed for a scope nor wasa it drilled for mounts.

So it depends on how it was drilled and tapped if it will accept any different base.

An experienced smith will be most beneficial here to have a hands on diagnosis.
 
Last edited:
OkayShooter is giving good advice.

If the holes aren't concentric to the axis of the action, it's really not a problem that can't be sorted out with a bit of thought, and modification of the mount holes, but, the big problem is hole spacing.

Many of the holes on these receivers were done in Europe for mounts that are proprietary to the smith, or to fit European mounts not available here in North America.

If you're handy and have the right tools, it's relatively easy to modify a mount by opening up the holes or adding holes.

Do a google search or look at the Brownelle's website for a one piece Picatinny rail. Brownelles's has a Canadian branch, so even it if comes out of the US, which takes about 6 weeks, it's just a matter of placing an order.

If you decide to purchase a blank picatinny rail, and have to take it to a smith to modify for your receiver, it may be cheaper to replace the whole rifle.
 
Thanks for the relpy.
I was wondering how well the two front holes would line up with the rear mount holes. I had to lap the rings a fair bit to mount my current set up on this rifle. Not sure if that was because of weaver mounts or the rings them selves.

Where would I find offset rings to gain the adjustment I'm looking for. I've looked online and all I've found so far is no name rings on Amazon.
Likely because nothing was alligned.
 
I'm looking for any advice on where to get a picatinny rail for my mauser 98 action. Right now I currently have two piece weaver bases mounted on it. But the problem is that I have no room for eye relief adjustment on my scope. I was also wanting to upgrade the scope to something more modern but the upgraded scope i have won't fit because the rings are to far apart.
I'd like to get a one piece rail so that I have more room for adjustment.
Any advice would be great. I can get if needed.
Do you want to put a regular scope or you want to make a scout rifle ??? if it so much pain just put a rail at the rear sight and you put a long eye relief scope like the German have on the K98.
It's just a sugestion I just want to show you a different way to go.
 

Attachments

  • Germanys-Karabiner-98K.jpg
    Germanys-Karabiner-98K.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 4
K98 receivers typically have the charger guide hump ground or milled off the receiver rear bridge. DIY types normally don't have proper equipment for the job, but I've seen some very decent jobs done with hand files.

Depending on who does the job, thickness of the rear bridge can and does vary between receivers.

It's not uncommon to find the charger ears still in place, and only one hole d&t behind it. There used to be bases available to incorporate this, with only one rear hole.

It can be a real crap shoot.

The best method for drilling the holes true to tdc is with a set of trammels and a starting the holes with a "pilot drill," which is rigid and won't "walk" away from the punched dimple.

My favorite method is to get the mount first, locate, and punch tdc accurately, d&t the hole, mount the base, and use it as a guide for the pilot drill to start the holes in the other locations.
 
The Warne Scope Bases # M902/830M front ring base has two slots. That would give you another 1/2" of adjustability.

Combine that with afore mentioned extended/cantilever rings and you'll gain about 1 1/4" of additional horizontal adjustment space for your scope.

I have this setup on several 98 action rifles with different "modern" scopes. It works well for me. YMMV...

I found the one piece Picatinny style bases can get into the way if one needs to correct feeding or loading the mag.
 
I have a Recknagel rail on my Mauser 1909.
https://hunting-optic.de/Recknagel-Mauser-K98-Picatinny-Schiene-Stahl/099

VCvpZUR.jpg


edi
 
Do you want to put a regular scope or you want to make a scout rifle ??? if it so much pain just put a rail at the rear sight and you put a long eye relief scope like the German have on the K98.
It's just a sugestion I just want to show you a different way to go.
But it is already drilled and tapped, with mounts and has a scope mounted. Op could get a longer tube scope to push back. But without extension rings it is too far forward.

Who says he even has a k98? Or rear sight?


Millett makes extension rings, or Weaver.

But if you want to upgrade the scope. Just look for one with longer tube that allows you to push it back.

As you wont need new mounts, or new rings.
 
Last edited:
But it is already drilled and tapped, with mounts and has a scope mounted. Op could get a longer tube scope to push back. But without extension rings it is too far forward.

Who says he even has a k98? Or rear sight?


Millett makes extension rings, or Weaver.
My God can I interact with the guy what's your problem ???? yes I saw mauser action I assume it was a K98 my mistake are you happy now the thread is yours now.
 
I don't think the OP mentioned the type of 98 action, commercial, unmolested M98, thumb cut, ground down stripper clip hump, etc...

Either way I think we're pointing out options for none scout options not being "collectors grade" rifles.

Maybe the OP can throw in a pic or info about the action in question to be scoped...
 
Back
Top Bottom