Mauser ammunition

fiddler

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Location
Edmonton
I'm looking at some new toys. Is there a difference between 7.92x57mm(8x57) and 8mm Mauser ammunition? I'm also reading some distinction prefixes for some rifles of seemingly the same caliber.

Anyone got a short answer for this?
 
I guess that would be the "J" bore and "S" bore? Thanks for the quick reply.


OK, that link was comprehensive. But

What bullets are available in surplus and commercial?
 
I guess that would be the "J" bore and "S" bore? Thanks for the quick reply.


OK, that link was comprehensive. But

What bullets are available in surplus and commercial?

It is actually "I" (.318") or "IS" (.323")

The "J" designation is supposed to have resulted from an error in translation on the Americans part.

As far as what is available, here is where I like to go window shopping:

Ammo: http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=3&categoryId=7536&categoryString=653***690***

Bullets: http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=7281&categoryString=9315***652***19785***9016***

You can't buy from them, but it gives you an idea of what is out there.
 
What bullets are available in surplus and commercial?

Surplus is almost non-existent in Canada but it does come up once and awhile.

Commercial ammo from the biggies (Remington, Winchester, Federal) is available at most gun stores, but it isn't cheap.

8mm Mauser tends to be a reloader's caliber if you want to shoot it alot.
 
FWIW, if I still had a 7.92x57mm Mauser, I'd shoot the 196 gr. Prvi Partizan SP out of it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=274276

I think it comes closest to the original military loading and it is cheaper than the American ammo, with good brass for reloading.

Using it in a Yugo M48 Mauser, the ballistics should come close to the calibrations on the iron sights.
 
MS, some 98s still have "I" bores. Not all of them were re barreled but the likelihood of running across one isn't high. There were several European makers that offered "I" bore sporters and ammunition right up to WWII. Some were still being offered after the war. The sporters are where the trouble may occur. Even if you do have an "I" bore and shoot an "IS" bullet through it, it's unlikely any damage will be done.

European 8x57 ammunition is generally loaded to 48,000 psi for all bullet weights. North American loaded ammuniton is loaded to around 37,000 psi in defference to the many "I" bore Mausers on this side of the Atlantic. The rifles you need to be careful with are Mod 1888, 89, 90, 91, 93 and 95 in milsurps. Then of course, if you have a commercial sporter, slug the bore.
 
MS, some 98s still have "I" bores. Not all of them were re barreled but the likelihood of running across one isn't high. There were several European makers that offered "I" bore sporters and ammunition right up to WWII. Some were still being offered after the war. The sporters are where the trouble may occur. Even if you do have an "I" bore and shoot an "IS" bullet through it, it's unlikely any damage will be done.

European 8x57 ammunition is generally loaded to 48,000 psi for all bullet weights. North American loaded ammuniton is loaded to around 37,000 psi in defference to the many "I" bore Mausers on this side of the Atlantic. The rifles you need to be careful with are Mod 1888, 89, 90, 91, 93 and 95 in milsurps. Then of course, if you have a commercial sporter, slug the bore.

You'll notice I said:

If it's a military M98 it will have the .323" bore.

You're right though. I should have mentioned the fact there are some civilian M98 sporters with the .318" bore.
 
The only surplus I've ever seen is 1943 spanish marked german manufactured, Yugo surplus from the 50's, or a smattering of turkish stuff, and its all century arms rebranded ammo
 
All good info. I just like to do a bit of research before making an acquisition. Never realized the same ammo had so many different names. Even Tradex has different ammo listed as both 8x57 and 8mm Mauser. Just looking at ballistics now to see what these bullets do.

I've been looking at a few different Mausers, some private sales and also looking at Marstars Yugo M48. Any comments on the Yugo M48? Which bore is that?(apologies for side threading, its all relevant to the topic)
 
"...Never realized the same ammo had so many different names..." Lots of that goes on. Usually caused by marketing departments. For example, the .244 Remington is the same thing as 6mm Remington.
However, commercial 8 x 57, 8 x 57JS/IS, 7.92 x 57 and 8mm Mauser are the same thing. If the load uses the .318" bullet, it'll be marked on the box as 8 x 57J or I. A commercial hunting rifle, that you're unlikely to find anyway, will be stamped as such. So will a milsurp.
"...a bit of research before making an acquisition..." The bullet change happened in 1905. Any milsurp K98 made after then uses the .323" bullet.
 
8x57, 7.92, 8mm Mauser is a fine cartridge. You will definitely notice that surplus ammo is hotter than North American sporting ammo. The Yugo M48, especially the unissued that have been available, is a great rifle to start down the slippery slope of milsurp buying. My "go to" rifle is a rather beat up M48. It has digested a fair bit of that nasty Yugo military ammo. I use that rifle to pound out a few rounds to get back to normal.:p
 
I've been looking at a few different Mausers, some private sales and also looking at Marstars Yugo M48. Any comments on the Yugo M48? Which bore is that?(apologies for side threading, its all relevant to the topic)


These seem like a really good price.
 
PPU makes two load variants; one under SAAMI for the USA and one under CIP. Those under CIP are marked with 8X57IS and those made under the SAAMI specs are marked 8mm Mauser.
Check it ou on their site. http://www.prvipartizan.com/rifle.php

I gave a link to the watered down American loading. It is the Prvi Partizan 8x57IS in a 196 gr. SP that I believe is close to the old Yugo military loading.

It should be very similar to the point of impact with the iron sights of a Yugo M48.

Article - A-128
Caliber - 8 x 57 IS
Bullet Type - SP
Bullet Weight[gr] - 196
Velocity [m/s] - 750
Energy [J] - 3570
Barrel Length[mm] - 610
 
Thanks for your info guys. Its not my first Milsurp rifle by any stretch, I'm contemplating my first Mauser. Just needed a quick bit of research from my fellow shooters before I make decisions.
 
Back
Top Bottom