Mauser m. 1871 carbine opinions please

apu

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Location
Manitoba
I picked up what looks to be a very nice original Mauser m.1871 Spandau carbine. Could any of the Mauser aficionadoes on the forum please give me an opinion if this rifle looks legit and approximate value range(I need to reassure myself that I did not overpay :) )? I appreciate there are quite a few cut and butchered Mausers out there and I am coming to appreciate true carbine models in good condition are not too common. The serial # is a low 2XX three digit number. It has a issue/ manufacture date of 1879. I undertstand carbine version of model 1871 did not start to be manufactured until 1876. I would also appreciate any additional history lessons surrounding these carbines. Thanks

From what I can tell it matches original OAL and barrel length exactly. All the parts/screws numbers match(three digit). The action cycles smoothly. Action is increadibly stout, very smooth well functioning trigger, firing pin, and extractor. There is light non pitted dry cosmoline like patina(I beleive this not corrosion but the remains of in the brown finish) on the barrel and the exterior of the action. It has overall age appropriate patina and generaly appears relatively untouched with the exception of small amounts of steel wool marks accenting around markings/stamps, screws appear untouched except for the screw on brass forend cap(which I suspect not to be original as I don't see a matching number and I think it's meant to cover the front sights), barrel/bore is in very good condition with no apparent pitting and has very deep and sharp rifling(for a blackpowder rifle it looks unfired), wood looks unmolested (finish looks original, no sanding marks) and generally good condition(worst defect appears near safety in picture number three) with what looks like appropriate period stamps.
Excluding the suspect brass forecap it looks like I could rate the rifle at a NRA antique condition somewhere between very good and fine.

ma4.jpg

ma1.jpg

ma2.jpg

ma3.jpg
 
Last edited:
Nice little Mouser. You are correct as to dates; the first Kars were made in '76.

You are correct also as regards the nose cap: the originals were steel and they did provide protection for the front sight as well.

Value? I can't guess. I paid $3 for my first one, although it was a chicken-coop rescue case and that was a LONG time ago, $60 for a very sadly-abused mate for it this last Summer. But then, I don't care what they are 'worth'. How do you VALUE a fine summertime afternoon at the rifle range, shooting something as much pure FUN as a Mauser Kar. '71?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

You have a Very Fine Toy, friend.
.
 
I recently sold one (two years ago) in the same condition with dies, brass and bullets for $1,500.00. It will shoot as well. I could put all bullets in the black at 50 yards with a full case of FG and the proper 340 grain bullets. I intended to hunt deer with it but, alas, it flew from my collection too soon. good luck. Dave
 
I recently sold one (two years ago) in the same condition with dies, brass and bullets for $1,500.00. It will shoot as well. I could put all bullets in the black at 50 yards with a full case of FG and the proper 340 grain bullets. I intended to hunt deer with it but, alas, it flew from my collection too soon. good luck. Dave

$1500! - you did exceptionally well. Very few of these sell, so it's tough to put a price on them, but that's a lot more than I paid for a nicer tiger-striped one about a year ago. I was going to say $500-600 for this one.

APU - you left out a very important pic - of the nosecap. If the wood has not been altered, then all you might need to restore it is a nosecap, but they're very difficult to find. There's a guy in Alberta who sells repros, but I can't recall who he is.
 
Last edited:
I think around here you would have no trouble to get $500 for your carbine even with the incorrect forend cap. I would try some of the Mauser forums for parts. You may come up with one easier in Europe as parts seem a little more available there.
 
I traded for my '71 several years back but it sat on the EE in the 300-400 range for a long time. Mine is a Sporter imported by Bannermans. Nice piece and Dantforth is right they really shoot well. Brass is a PITA to find though.
 
Thank you for all the kind replies. Although I did pay more than $60 I am pleasantly reassured that I got a good deal.

Andy- alas,not too surprisingly the picture I did take of the nosecap turned out as giant blur. In retrospect I guess I am not really too worried about the nosecap as it actually looks to the uninitiated( at least it did to me :) ) very nicely done. If this cap was retrofitted(as I suspect) it was done with really good attention to detail. It covers the inlet wood end stock perfectly and scew holes match perfectly. If it was not for the absence of ID markings it looks like it could belong here.
ma5.jpg

ma6.jpg



I am looking forward to putting a few rounds through her. I have decent quantity of period ammo and some "newer" Dominion rounds but it would be almost a crime to shoot these guys off. I will have to hunt down some brass and dies down as my next order of buisness.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom