Maxi Ball

sluggun

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have not done any muzzle loading for a few years but am planning a hunt in this fall. Traditionally, I have used round balls rather than conicals because the former has given me better accuracy. I was thinking about trying the TC Maxi Ball. Can anyone give me their input on how this projectile preformed for them?

Thanks

http://www.cabelas.com/sabots-bullets-thompson-center-maxi-ball-2.shtml
 
i've used them in a tc hawken and renegade 1/48 twist with 2ff eqivalent, and good accurcey too 100 yds . charge was 100grns 2ff or 90grns 3ff. walt
 
I always preferred the Hornaday Great Plains bullet to the Maxi in my TC Hawken.
Now I shoot 240 grain Sabot XTP bullet from Hornaday for Whitetails and Mule Deer.
 
I have used many styles of bullets mostly in .50 cal and can honestly say for Deer hunting, the round ball works better than most. That is over 23 years of field experience, and well over 30 dead whitetails.
 
I picked up a Green Mt 1-70 twist ball barrel for my .54 TC Renegade and it shoots great ! tennis ball sized groups at 100 yards with 100gr FFG and a .018 patch.......Two deer later..........Harold
 
I have used many styles of bullets mostly in .50 cal and can honestly say for Deer hunting, the round ball works better than most. That is over 23 years of field experience, and well over 30 dead whitetails.
Hi, thanks for the feedback. I am using a 1 in 48 twist 50 cal. and with 90 grains of powder what range is the round ball best at?

In target shooting I am always most accurate with a round ball but my concern with hunting is taking down the critter at range so that I why I am trying something heavy.

What are you thoughts?
 
i've used them in a tc hawken and renegade 1/48 twist with 2ff eqivalent, and good accurcey too 100 yds . charge was 100grns 2ff or 90grns 3ff. walt
Thanks for the feedback, I will try them out this weekend at the target range.
 
I have taken whitetails from 12 ft to 110 yards with a ..495 round ball. One 110 yard shot was broadside and the ball passed right through, the other long shot was a face on and I shot it when it put it's head down. The ball entered dead center on the neck between its shoulder and travelled up the spine, DRT.
 
Back
Top Bottom