Merwin & Hulbert Rebuild. (pics)

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
I bought this M&H as a fixer uper TLC junk gun and its turned into one of my most fun projects and a gun i will keep.
Its a Merwin & Hulbert pocket army in 44 Russian tho this one can shoot 44 Special to. only cowboy loads tho.
Theses guns are so well made and intresting.
There a Big gun and a handfull thats the frist thing that surprised me is there size as they look small.
The grip is smaller than most but that Skull crusher grip sticks out perfect for your pinky to wrap arond makes the grip very nice even for a guy with big hands.
The cylinder is about the bigest in Dia of any antique revolver.
Anyway the pics are for others to view that shows you can turn a clunker into a fine antique arm. Im building two of theses.
Both in 44 Russian/ 44 Special.
There just polished steel with fireblue highlights.
They use some weird kinda steel in theses frames its like Damascus steel very light weight i thought the loading gate was Alum its so light but its made of the same steel as the frame and barrel.

all other parts are case hardened and diffrent steel cylinders are diffrent steel to much harder.
Learning alot about M&H doing this.
Fun Fun Fun...more to come!


P1010004_22.jpg


zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzlop.jpg


P1010010_21.jpg
 
Last edited:
I have another one in abit better shape so i will have a nice Pair .
Doubt id keep both but ya never know.
I do like theses M&H for being so diffrent.
I also found one thats DA.
I would recomend theses to anyone.
They have S&W Features in the design inside the gun.
 
Damn your fast with fixin these things up...

I havent chatted about any of mine for a while...I guess i'll have to put up some pics of my two toned pocket army :)

We'll have to chat about that cylinder you got on there...
 
I don't collect these (or any other antiques), but there are a couple I would like to have, and a Merwin is one of them, just because they are such really nice designs. You did a remarkable job on this restoration. Other than the basics of the design I don't really know anything about them, but I've never seen a cylinder like that on the few Merwins I have seen. I hope if you do offer one, it's one I can afford. Thanks for showing it.

I was told recently by someone at CFC that because of a short barrel, even if it were "antique", a cartridge revolver could still be "prohibited" because of the barrel length. I'm relatively new to all this (Canadian gun laws), and don't quite understand. I mean, I can understand the distinction between modern and antique based on the caliber (although it's a spurious distinction in my opinion), but I don't understand the business of bbl. length. If it is an "antique" in every other way, what difference does the barrel length make? Have you (or anyone else here who collects antiques) had that experience?
 
I was told recently by someone at CFC that because of a short barrel, even if it were "antique", a cartridge revolver could still be "prohibited" because of the barrel length. I'm relatively new to all this (Canadian gun laws), and don't quite understand. I mean, I can understand the distinction between modern and antique based on the caliber (although it's a spurious distinction in my opinion), but I don't understand the business of bbl. length. If it is an "antique" in every other way, what difference does the barrel length make? Have you (or anyone else here who collects antiques) had that experience?

Being antique based on caliber & age overides barrel length or the dumb caliber rule (.25 & .32). One member here however had a Colt Thunder with a short barrel confiscated by the CBSA because they thought it was prohib. He fought and got it back.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272672
 
I also have a pair of them. Now the interesting bit. They don't use the same bullet. Apparently 44 winchester used a few thousandths smaller diameter bullet then 44-40 although it's the same case. Found that out the hard way when I tried to chamber a round in the earlier one. Had to order a sizing die from Lee to swage the later bullets that small difference. Anyway,pocket model is a a joke unless you have iron pockets;)

Oh yeah, they kick like the proverbial Missouri Mule:D

When one watches the old westerns you would think EVERYONE had a Colt SAA in a queeks draw holster. The Sherrif of Tombstone and the Mayor of Tucson both had WEBLEY RIC's
 
I also have a pair of them. Now the interesting bit. They don't use the same bullet. Apparently 44 winchester used a few thousandths smaller diameter bullet then 44-40 although it's the same case. Found that out the hard way when I tried to chamber a round in the earlier one. Had to order a sizing die from Lee to swage the later bullets that small difference. Anyway,pocket model is a a joke unless you have iron pockets;)

Oh yeah, they kick like the proverbial Missouri Mule:D

When one watches the old westerns you would think EVERYONE had a Colt SAA in a queeks draw holster. The Sherrif of Tombstone and the Mayor of Tucson both had WEBLEY RIC's

Yes John they sure are for big Pockets thats for sure.
maby the golly green giants pockets :D
The Cylinder on a 44 Caliber M&H is wider in Dia than anyother revolver cylinder.

The cylinder you see in my pocket armys is off the newer army model M&H guns the models with the full fluted cylinders that have the normal grip shape.
I have swaped cylinders cause i like the full fluted cylinders in the pocket armys the best.

Just cause i like em like this.
I am looking into haveing some M&H cylinders made from 4140 or ETD 150 bar stock. this will be fantastic if it pans out.
 
Back
Top Bottom