mid 90's tc scout

wreck

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
moose jaw, sk
i got a tc scout from my dad, he tells me the twist is 1:28 so i go to the local gun shop and was going to buy some triple seven powder and some hornady sst sabots and the owner of the store says there is no way your gun will shoot those, he swears the twist is 1:20 doh !!! does anyone one here have any experience with this gun or that can help me find out the twist rate.

i tried getting ahold of t/c but good luck they don't answer their phone. :runaway:
 
I have an early 90's TC Treehawk which I think has the same barrel, and it is a 1:21 twist if I remember right. If you want to check for sure mark the ramrod and find the length that it takes to rotate once. I always just shot maxi-balls out of that gun, so I can't help you with the sabot question. Great little gun by the way.
 
Whhhat....a round ball gun has a slow rate of twist 1:60. I would think that the patch would just blow right over the rifling and not even engage it. If you want to shoot sabot start with a mid-weight 240-250gr to get a base line and adjust from there. As for the powder charge...be careful if I remember right, these guns were only able to handle 100gr BP or 85gr of 777 loose, although I always shot 85gr of pyrodex RS.
 
Round ball and patch won't shoot better than Sabot's.

Faster twist for longer bullets. Round ball BP guns typically are running 1 in 60 twist barrels. IIRC the 1 in 48 barrels are supposed to be a "compromise" twist rate to be able to shoot either RB or a Minie Ball.

I'd be looking towards the Minie Ball or Maxi Ball type projectiles as more probable for a 1 in 21 twist.

Definately double check that twist rate.

Cheers
Trev
 
I had a TC Scout in the early 90's, and if memory serves me correctly I had pretty good success with 80 grains of Pyrodex Select and .44 cal Hornady sabots.(green sabot with a 240 gr.XTP bullet)
 
ya i was a little confused aswell. i'm pretty sure the max blackpowder charge is 100 grains for that gun i think that is what my dad said. i will try the hornady's and see what happens. the worst case senario is they don't shoot well. i really appreciate the imput from everyone.


so if a person used triple seven you would load 15% less than what you would load ie: pyrodex?


i will try to measure the twist rate when i get home tonight
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom