Military 5.56 grain weights

mufasa

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any militaries in the world that use heavier projectiles than the standard 62 grain SS109 (not counting the Swiss 63 grain) for their regular units (not Special Forces)?
 
Unfortunately I'm looking for ammunition used in widespread use in regular units, I don't think MK 262 fulfills those criteria.
 
Unfortunately I'm looking for ammunition used in widespread use in regular units, I don't think MK 262 fulfills those criteria.

What, are you doing a school project or something...? :ar15:

I don't think you could say that it's in wide spread use, but it's used by whoever can get it. M855 is still the standard issue round but I think it's fair to say that Mk 262 Mod 1 is more prevalent than "limited availability" would imply. It was developed for the Mk 12 sniper rifle but provides such considerable terminal ballistic performance and accuracy gains over the 62 grain M855 that it is widely sought and as widely used as it can be.

Considering that there are at least 4 different manufacturers selling similar OTM loads loaded to NATO spec commercially in the US... you know it's even more readily available than that for government work.
 
I should explain. Under New Zealand Service rifle rules the only ammunition allowable is that which is or approximates rounds that are or have been in general service of some military. Currently for .223/5.56 only 55 and 62 grain projectiles are allowed. You can make a case for heavier ball to be included if a military uses them in general issue (probably not a NATO country).
 
Back
Top Bottom