milsurp reliability

dnepr

CGN Regular
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Location
Kenora
I just burned off the rest of the surplus .303 British that I picked up ar SIR a couple years ago . Had about 10% misfire rate , a couple went of with a second blow . but a bunch didn't . what has been your luck with milsurp stuff? for the price not a big deal if you get a couple missfires but it is annoying. Is the anything out there that is real bad . I think most of the .303 British has dried up but I am also wondering about some of the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 stuff out there . I would hate to buy a case of milsurp and have a lot of duds .
 
That as the POR stuff, made in Pakistan on British equipment that was left behind during the handover, most boxes were dated 1967.
You're right, alto of hang fires, duds and it was also very corrosive.
 
I've been shooting some '50's FN .303 recently and it's been 100%. Also the light and heavy Hungarian 7.62x54R has been 100% for me. There's still a fair bit of the South African .303 around. It's excellent but seems to be selling around the 50 cents a round mark.

The worst I've had in the last few years was some late-war Czech 8x57. Had about 5% dud rate on that, but that's not too bad for 60 year old ammo IMO.
 
slicknick said:
7.62x54r and 7.62x39 have been almost 100% for me in both Hungarian and Czech varieties

I fire the Czech stuff, both 7.62 X 39 and light and heavy ball 7.62 X 54r. Great ammo, dirty, but no miss fires in a couple of thousand rounds and fairly consistant accuracy. I had heavy ball Hungarian 7.62 X 54r (Gold brass, not green laquer) and it fired OK, but the smell made me gag and my eyes water. Anyone else find this ammo harsh on the senses?
 
I did a bit of a google search on this .303 stuff I had It has come up on a forum I found and they were complaining about hard primers. the box is marked : BALL R1 M3Z it is a 50 round plain cardboard box and packed 50 loose rounds to a box. I don't know for sure that it is corrosive but I treat it as such . This stuff really copper fouls bad lots of CR 10 to clean up . I am glad to hear the good results with the 7.62x39 and the 7.62x54 probably gonna pick up some 7.62x54 from districorp soon .
 
Stevo;

If you don't mind me asking, where have you seen the South African .303 British kicking around? I heard it was quite plentiful here in B.C. a few years ago but lately seems to have dried up.
 
Thanks Stevo!

I'd be looking for a case if I could find it.

I didn't see any at the last Coquitlam show. Just a bunch of guys selling British bandoleers for $40.00.

I can remember buying them for about $15.00 in the early 90's.:rolleyes:
 
The late 40's Czech 7.92x57 copper jacketed stuff. I have loaded in whole clips into my k98 and had none of them fire. The steel jacketed (or whatever it is) czech 7.92 from the late 40's-early 50's that I have tried has gone bang 100% of the time though...
 
i am kinda new to the surplus ammo game, but have had terrible results with 7.62x39 in my sks.. solid primer strikes, and about 5-15% duds. I am looking for a thread to try to indentify where the surplus ammo i have comes from. Does anyone have any ideas.. I had no idea that some surplus could be this bad.
 
i am kinda new to the surplus ammo game, but have had terrible results with 7.62x39 in my sks.. solid primer strikes, and about 5-15% duds. I am looking for a thread to try to indentify where the surplus ammo i have comes from. Does anyone have any ideas.. I had no idea that some surplus could be this bad.

Is it the steel cased Czech stuff? Marked with a two digit year and "bxn" on the base?

I've never heard of that dud rate with the Czech ammo. I've fired probably 8-10k of it and I don't think I've ever had a single dud in my CZs.
 
There are lots of reasons for that ammunition not to fire. That may be the reason it was surplussed. Primeres have deteriorated, weak firing pin spring and firing pin tip contour is worn or pitted. Some of the Radway Green out there, from the fifties used to do that in some rifles. If the rifle was in decent condition and all was well inside the bolt it went bang.
I had a very nice P14 that I sold off because of that stuff. Now I know a little better.

That South African stuff was almost as good as the Greek surplus. I would love to get my hands on some of the Greek stuff.
 
bxn 73, on the base of cartridge. boxes have b stamped on them. I didnt buy it by the case lot, now i am hesitant to buy a bunch of it without knowing what is going to be ok. primer strikes look really solid on the duds. I shot 100 a couple days ago and had 14 that didnt go bang. that just seems worse than it ever should be. 40 year old ammo should not have that bad of primer deterioration should it?
 
Resurrected a 5 year old thread...that's gotta be a record! Some of those old posts threw me for a loop until I saw the date...
 
bxn 73, on the base of cartridge. boxes have b stamped on them. I didnt buy it by the case lot, now i am hesitant to buy a bunch of it without knowing what is going to be ok. primer strikes look really solid on the duds. I shot 100 a couple days ago and had 14 that didnt go bang. that just seems worse than it ever should be. 40 year old ammo should not have that bad of primer deterioration should it?

Like I said, I've never seen any of the Czech surplus with that dud rate. I've shot thousands of '73 with no duds and a full case of '59 that had zero duds.

Do you have another rifle to try it in?
 
thats what i will try next, running some of it through a friends cz. i thought it seemed worse than it should be, thanks for the help. So i take it there should be little to no duds in the czech stuff?
 
Back
Top Bottom