Mini 14 Target Ammo

Peregrine

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Saskatchewan
I am not sure if this is where this thread belongs or if it should be in the hunter thread or the precision thread.

I am interested in Mini 14 Target owners ammo choices and the results
I am also interested in anyone who has made up their own round in .223 for the mini 14 target model, that has been successful. I know this rifle is particular to certain "foods"...what I don't know is what those foods are---that are available in Canada...most reports lean towards a Black Hills mix for a 55 grain built...I can find the specs if needed, but I wanted to know what worked up here and was readily available or easily remade. My requirements are lethality at the longest varmint range..and a little paper punching for fun
 
In my mini target, winchester white box 45 JHP give me 1/2" groups 3 shots all the time. Dampener flush with end of barrel.
 
No two rifles will shoot the same ammo the same way. You have to try a box of as many brands as you can to fiind the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing.
The 1 in 9 rifling twist means that it should shoot heavy bullets best.
 
Wierd cuz mine liked the soft point winchester's from wallmart and the shroud was three and a half sections back.
 
I have a friend with some .223 dies, I want to try some FMJBT's 50-55 grain
-have not figured which powder yet.
-Just got the rifle from another CGN'er, with a small assortment of ammo..have not had time yet to put many shots out there...but I foresee a lot of shooting to come...this thing is a blast!!
 
I got to try a stranger's out at the F&G range. Was printing about 1" easily at 100m with PMC 55 grain. I can't tell you much more than that though.
 
In my mini target, winchester white box 45 JHP give me 1/2" groups 3 shots all the time. Dampener flush with end of barrel.

Mine too it loves the 45 grain cheapys Winchester or Remingtons but it don't like 55 grain fmj"s at all which is perfectly fine by me they work good on yotes and turn gophers into pink mist.
 
Got some better results with Federal Balistic tips (each hole halving the next), but that is a bit more $$$$/shot than I want to spend shaking down a rifle.

JHP was doing the job, and a heck of a lot cheaper to shoot. Once I build up some brass I want to try loading some of my own---still want to try a FMJBT bullet
 
Back
Top Bottom